[SOLVED] comparing 2 coolers for ryzen 3600

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
hey there, for a gaming pc, with ryzen 3600 - i'm thinking of getting ANTEC C400 / CoolerMaster masterliquid ML240 lite

the ML240 is more expensive, but my question is - does it worth the extra money?
in my country is about 30$ more

Solution
There's different designs on the ML240L AIO's. The ML240L is the 'lite' version, so if a corner could be cut to save a little on production costs, it got it. Smaller tubing, less powerful pump, older pump generation etc. It's the cheapest and most unreliable, and lowest performance model. Equate it to a 4cyl Ford Mustang.

Above that is the ML240 which didn't have as many corners cut, but still isn't a great performer. 6cyl Mustang.

On top is the ML240R, which has the larger tubing, better flow, stronger pump etc. It's what the ML240 class cooler should have been all along. 8cyl Mustang GT.

Honestly, neither of your choices are great, the aircooler isn't any better than the stock cooler, and the aio (I prefer liquid coolers) I'd not...

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Roll with stock cooler, then replace it if it's not satisfactory.
The Antec 400 would be a waste, as it would perform about the same as the stock cooler.
and the CoolerMaster masterliquid ML240 lite isn't worth the money?
the pc is mainly for gaming, but I don't want to trust the stock cooler.. i'm thinking of what will be better in the long term

and the CoolerMaster masterliquid ML240 lite isn't worth the money?
the pc is mainly for gaming, but I don't want to trust the stock cooler.. i'm thinking of what will be better in the long term
The stock cooler is fine for long term as well. CPU's have long lives if treated right, and the Ryzen stock cooler is good enough to treat the 3600 right. You really don't need aftermarket cooler unless you want to do extreme overclocking.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
^What they said. The Ryzen stock cooler is on par with some of the budget coolers. The Antec cooler reall would be a waste - the ML240 would be a more compelling purchase, BUT...
That said, cooling is only as effective as the box it's being put in; what's your chassis?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's different designs on the ML240L AIO's. The ML240L is the 'lite' version, so if a corner could be cut to save a little on production costs, it got it. Smaller tubing, less powerful pump, older pump generation etc. It's the cheapest and most unreliable, and lowest performance model. Equate it to a 4cyl Ford Mustang.

Above that is the ML240 which didn't have as many corners cut, but still isn't a great performer. 6cyl Mustang.

On top is the ML240R, which has the larger tubing, better flow, stronger pump etc. It's what the ML240 class cooler should have been all along. 8cyl Mustang GT.

Honestly, neither of your choices are great, the aircooler isn't any better than the stock cooler, and the aio (I prefer liquid coolers) I'd not waste good money on. If available, I'd be looking at the Evga CLC 240 or the Fractal Design s24 instead, much superior to the ML240L and usually cheaper.

Air cooling will depend on your case and exactly how much cpu cooler clearance you have, but the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.b or Fuma2 would be at the top, with a Cryorig H7 under that for short cases under 155mm. Arctic esports duo or Noctua NH-U12S are also excellent.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing to do with noticing it. Just a simple statement yall are telling him the stock cooler if fine when in fact it's not good enough to get all you can from the processor.
From a value perspective, it isn't worth it.
Look at the coolers the OP is considering. Both cheap, garbage coolers.
One is on the same level as the stock cooler, if not worse, and the other has some of the worst quality parts you can get on a AIO today.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
From a value perspective, it isn't worth it.
One is on the same level as the stock cooler, if not worse, and the other has some of the worst quality parts you can get on a AIO today.

14% increase with a cheap cooler in GTA V plus it would allow you to overclock some it don't take a lot of cooler to beat the stock one.

https://www.gamingpcbuilder.com/ryzen-5-3600-wraith-stealth-vs-deepcool-tower-cooler/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can't really compare the A40/A400/C400 to the Gammax 400. The mounting system on those Antec coolers is abysmal. They use AMD snap clips on thin steel bracket held with 2 tiny screws. For Intel or other than AM4 mount, there's a retainer ring to mount to the mobo. It's the worst cpu retention design out there. Total reliance on 2 tiny screws mounted sideways to hold the tower, spring steel brackets and a flexible ring. Sags very easily, and if using a paste like Arctic Silver 5, after it dries out expect even the tinyest vibration to break the seal. A sagging cooler of those weights puts a lot of stress on the bottom and removes pressure from the top of the cpu.

Get enough sag and not only can the cooler impact the gpu backplate or pcb rear (that's worse!) but with the habit of coolers sticking to cpus, potentially pull a Ryzen right out of socket.

Gammax 400 is either pushpin or solid bracket mount.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
14% increase with a cheap cooler in GTA V plus it would allow you to overclock some it don't take a lot of cooler to beat the stock one.

https://www.gamingpcbuilder.com/ryzen-5-3600-wraith-stealth-vs-deepcool-tower-cooler/
1)Posts link to an article with just one gaming fps benchmark in it, GTA V. If you don't know what the problem is with a single game benchmark...
2)Said benchmark yields a 14% improvement, so it must apply to all games... yeah, that's not misleading at all.
3)All the benchmark results are jokes and misleading in themselves: a gamer isn't going to actually notice these differences in a game shooting and blowing stuff up, unless*...
-Cinebench R20: the single thread scores a literally the same, which, by the way, many games still are, and they don't care at all about multi-thread performance.
-Timespy: they're all borderline 7000pts
-Civ 6 AI turn times: they're all 7 seconds. Who's going to notice 7.1 or 7.5 seconds?
-GTA V: a 20fps difference! I'm ~SO going to notice that when I'm already getting 120+fps on a 144hz monitor.
*Oh wait, some people these days like to have these fps counters in the corners of their screens 24/7, like they're some holy grail of performance, or some junk, unawares that it is the primary cause of ruining their gaming experiences. :pfff:
Those fps monitors/counters are a stealth poison.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
1)Posts link to an article with just one gaming fps benchmark in it, GTA V. If you don't know what the problem is with a single game benchmark...
2)Said benchmark yields a 14% improvement, so it must apply to all games... yeah, that's not misleading at all.
3)All the benchmark results are jokes and misleading in themselves: a gamer isn't going to actually notice these differences in a game shooting and blowing stuff up, unless*...
-Cinebench R20: the single thread scores a literally the same, which, by the way, many games still are, and they don't care at all about multi-thread performance.
-Timespy: they're all borderline 7000pts
-Civ 6 AI turn times: they're all 7 seconds. Who's going to notice 7.1 or 7.5 seconds?
-GTA V: a 20fps difference! I'm ~SO going to notice that when I'm already getting 120+fps on a 144hz monitor.
*Oh wait, some people these days like to have these fps counters in the corners of their screens 24/7, like they're some holy grail of performance, or some junk, unawares that it is the primary cause of ruining their gaming experiences. :pfff:
Those fps monitors/counters are a stealth poison.

I'M NOT RESPONDING TO START A ARGUMENT JUST STATING A SIMPLE FACT THE STOCK COOLER IS NOT ADEQUATE FOR THE PROCESSOR IF IT WAS YOU WOULD GET THE SAME SPEEDS FROM IT AS THE 20 BUCK COOLER i LISTED ABOVE.

EVERYBODY IS SAYING THE STOCK COOLER WORKS FINE OK YES IT WORKS BUT IF IT IS THE LIMITING FACTOR OF ACTUALLY GETTING THE FULL PERFORMANCE OUT OF THE PROCESSOR THE ADVERTISED BOOST SPEED THEN NO IT'S NOT ADEQUATE AND SHOULD BE REPLACED

A SINGLE GAME BENCHMARK ALONG WITH MANY MORE BENCHMARKS STILL SHOWS THE STOCK COOLER DOES NOT ALLOW FOR THE ADVERTISED BOOST CLOCK THE AMOUNT OF FPS WILL VERY DEPENDING ON THE GAME ENGINE ALONG WITH MONITOR RESOLUTION.

IN MY OPINION (EVERYBODY HAS ONE) THE STOCK COOLERS ARE VERY LOUD UNDER LOAD AND AMD SHOULD OF ADDED 10 BUCKS TO THE PRICE AND ADDED THE 3600X COOLER TO IT.

Last edited:
The stock cooler is arguably fine if one's budget is limited and they can cope with a bit of fan noise under load, but it's unlikely that the Wraith Stealth included with a Ryzen 3600 is on par with any 120mm tower cooler. It's not even much better than Intel's stock coolers, unlike the larger Wraith Spire included with the 3600X, which has a heatsink about twice as large, and even that isn't quite on the same level as a typical 120mm tower cooler.

Looking at reviews, a C400 performs similar to other popular mid-range coolers like the Hyper 212, and while I can't vouch for it's mounting hardware or anything, it seems fine as far as cooling performance goes, and will likely be noticeably quieter than the included Wraith Stealth.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
:whistle:
Did you forget that Ryzen 3000's boost frequencies are based on power and thermal headroom?
If it were possible to put an Intel stock cooler on a Ryzen 3600 cpu, it'd perform worse than the Wraith Stealth would, or if we put a Wraith Spire/Prism on it, it would also perform better?

Also, the advertised boost clock - in this case, 4.2ghz - only applies to a single core during lightly threaded workloads. AMD says nothing concerning frequencies with multi-thread/all core turbos.

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Guys come on, this topic is for Reddit or in private.

@yehiambenshushan What's the price of the Arctic Freezer II 240/280 in your country?
240/280 is not available here at the moment, but I checked last price, it was double the price of the CM 240 lite

for the price of the CM lite cooler, I can get the Arctic Freezer II 120
and for more money (but not double the price) I can get the Antec Mercury 240.

I want a cooler to put inside my PC, and forget it for a few years. something reliable that perform well, but I don't want to pay extra for something I might not need

NOTE: I can get for the same price of the ANTEC C400:
CM MasterAir MA610P
CM MasterAir MA620P
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
but I heard the MA610/620 are to loud

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
JUST FYI,
I have a Scythe Ninja 5 on my 3700x that works Great for me (idle ~32c, ~60-65c while gaming).
I also used an Arctic 33 eSports (dual fan) cooler on this CPU for about a month and it worked pretty well also (idle ~34c, ~65-70c while gaming).
The newer Arctic 34 eSports Duo is a newer version of the 33 esports and is supposed to be slightly better.

As for the Arctic Freezer II 120 from what I have read reviewers say to forget the 120 and look at the 240 or 280 versions.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3571-arctic-liquid-freezer-ii-cooler-review-benchmark

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Yea, that's my conclusion too, it's a good cooler but not for the 3700x and the other 2 are much better.
Scythe Ninja 5, according to a buddy of mine, he is very pleased with it.(On a 3800x mind you)
Scythe is not available for sale here in Israel.

guys I can Also get for the same price of the CM 240 lite those coolers:
  1. Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 chromax black Low-profile
  2. Noctua NH-L9X65 SE-AM4
  3. Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
  4. Cougar AQUA-120 Liquid

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Oh snap! That's the ticket!
#3 hands down.
Yeah? that so much?
I just found I can get those noctuas from another store.

so you say that #3 will be my best best option among all the other I mention in this topic? even compare to water system like the Antec Mercury 240 ?

BTW My case will be ANTEC DP501 with 3 fans in the front and another in the back