Question comparing servers processors

sajad564

Reputable
Oct 29, 2020
hi
currently i want to rent a server for my applications , so now i have two options :
1-server one have 256gb of ram(it is far more thant what i need) but the cpu is xeon gold 5412U and as you probebly may know it is in the server proccessor class
2-server two have 128gb of ram(which is still more than what i need , i mean it should enough for the next couple years) but the cpu is ryzen 9 7950x3d wich is very powerfull cpu but in desktop class.
my main question is about performance of processors,which of them is better ?(raw performance,benchmarks related to server tasks and so on)
as i know ryzen 7950x3d is better in most cases , but i found two things weird :
1) why xeon gold 5412U price is double(actually more than double!)
2) server with xeon gold 5412U as proccessor have higher price range for renting , i sent a ticket to support and they said this server is more powerfull than ryzen one.
thanks for spending your time to read this thread

hi
currently i want to rent a server for my applications , so now i have two options :
1-server one have 256gb of ram(it is far more thant what i need) but the cpu is xeon gold 5412U and as you probebly may know it is in the server proccessor class
2-server two have 128gb of ram(which is still more than what i need , i mean it should enough for the next couple years) but the cpu is ryzen 9 7950x3d wich is very powerfull cpu but in desktop class.
my main question is about performance of processors,which of them is better ?(raw performance,benchmarks related to server tasks and so on)
as i know ryzen 7950x3d is better in most cases , but i found two things weird :
2) server with xeon gold 5412U as proccessor have higher price range for renting , i sent a ticket to support and they said this server is more powerfull than ryzen one.
In all honesty I'd look into an AWS c7a or m7a and use an instance savings plan.

Reactions: popeyetyty

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
server with xeon gold 5412U as proccessor have higher price range for renting
The Xeon uses ECC RAM and can run up to 4TB, the Ryzen uses cheaper non-ECC memory.
The Xeon 5412U has 8 memory channels, the Ryzen has only 2 memory channels (IMC).
The Xeon 5412U has 24 cores, 48 threads, the Ryzen has 16 cores, 32 threads.
The list of differences goes on and on....
Small wonder the more poweful Xeon costs more to rent.

i know ryzen 7950x3d is better in most cases
The 5412U is a server processor, the 7950X3D is a gaming processor. They're designed for two entirely different scenarios. It's like comparing a truck with a sports car. They're not the same. Both are better in some repects.

If you want a professional AMD server CPU, consider the EPYC range (similar to Xeons).
https://vtechinsider.com/amd-epyc-processor-vs-intel-xeon/

For professional Workstations, consider the AMD ThreadRipper range. Intel alternatives exist.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-threadripper-pro-5995wx-5975wx-cpu-review

As to which processor I would recommend in a server, it would not be the 7950X3D gaming CPU. If I was ever tempted to use a Desktop CPU in a heavy duty server application, it would probably be the 7950X (non 3D version) or the 14900K/KS.

Being realistic, if you're happy with a less expensive 7950X3D "server" (probably running non error checked RAM) go ahead. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

As to which processor I would recommend in a server, it would not be the 7950X3D gaming CPU. If I was ever tempted to use a Desktop CPU in a heavy duty server application, it would probably be the 7950X (non 3D version) or the 14900K/KS.

Being realistic, if you're happy with a less expensive 7950X3D "server" (probably running non error checked RAM) go ahead. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
There are plenty of entry level servers that use desktop CPUs.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To better answer (the Ryzen is likely just fine) the question, what applications will be hosted? How many users? Are you talking about local or remote users?

What is the network structure?

Not just a matter of what CPU/memory/storage space.

kanewolf

Titan
There are plenty of entry level servers that use desktop CPUs.
Even though those "servers" use a desktop CPU, they probably have motherboard features, like ECC RAM that are not desktop.
Severs live without direct personal interaction. They are booted remotely, they have redundant power supplies, they have the bare minimum of graphics support. Reliability is emphasized over other attributes. Did Intel make "server" CPUs and desktop CPUs that can share the same socket? Yes. But the CPU is just one aspect, IMO.

kanewolf

Titan
hi
The question you should be asking is "What are the bottlenecks of my problem? How does each system address those bottlenecks?"

The Xeon MAY have much better memory bandwidth, but you have to ask more questions of the owner. Yes, the Xeon can have more memory channels populates as @Misgar said. BUT, the owner of the server may have only populated 4 channels because they are standardizing on a specific DIMM.
You did not mention storage in your original post. Is that an important factor?
Do you get bare metal access to the Xeon or are you just a VM on a shared host?

Even though those "servers" use a desktop CPU, they probably have motherboard features, like ECC RAM that are not desktop.
Severs live without direct personal interaction. They are booted remotely, they have redundant power supplies, they have the bare minimum of graphics support. Reliability is emphasized over other attributes. Did Intel make "server" CPUs and desktop CPUs that can share the same socket? Yes. But the CPU is just one aspect, IMO.
Not always. There are a lot of entry servers on AMD that didn't have ECC RAM or redundant PSUs. With Epyc 4004 now those are more likely to have ECC RAM options but redundant PSUs are still not as common. In fact a lot of entry level edge servers regardless of Intel or AMD only have 1 PSU.