Question Comparing two very different monitors - Looking for advice on which one to get

yuag

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
Background: I work from home 3 days a week. I currently have a work laptop, a personal laptop, and a 32" ASUS TUF VG32VQR monitor. At present, the monitor is sometimes used on the personal laptop, and sometimes used on my work laptop. For work I am mainly in spreadsheets with many columns.

There are 2 decent deals out that I'm looking at. Prices are identical.
Deal 1: NewEgg: AOC AOC Agon AG323QCX2 (32" Curved; 2560x1440; 2 HDMI, 2 DisplayPort)
Deal 2: Walmart: Samsung 34" LS34J552WQNXZA (34" Flat; 3440x1440; 2 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort)

I'm weighing the pros and cons - If one of the monitors is going to be mainly connected to my work computer, would it make sense to go with Deal 2 for the resolution, or go with Deal 1 to allow flexibility with gaming options (e.g. connect a PS4 to one of them, etc). Is 34" too large for a flat monitor and would it get hard to read things on the spreadsheets at the edges?

Lutfij

Titan
I'm weighing the pros and cons - If one of the monitors is going to be mainly connected to my work computer, would it make sense to go with Deal 2 for the resolution, or go with Deal 1 to allow flexibility with gaming options (e.g. connect a PS4 to one of them, etc). Is 34" too large for a flat monitor and would it get hard to read things on the spreadsheets at the edges?
You might want to elaborate on the etc part, so we're well informed of what you want your investment to accomplish.

The hardest part about us recommending something is that we might not be seeing the same thing as you, which may or may not be a good thing as it's your money that's going tobe spent, not ours.

That being said, the larger panel would have more real estate space horizontally. I'm curious though, what is the make and model of your laptops and your desktop?

yuag

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
You might want to elaborate on the etc part, so we're well informed of what you want your investment to accomplish.

The hardest part about us recommending something is that we might not be seeing the same thing as you, which may or may not be a good thing as it's your money that's going tobe spent, not ours.

That being said, the larger panel would have more real estate space horizontally. I'm curious though, what is the make and model of your laptops and your desktop?
My current home laptop is a Gigabyte G5. (1920x1080).
My work laptop is a ThinkPad T14 (1920x1080).

My current set up from left to right is "Work laptop, 32" Curved Monitor", Personal laptop.

I was thinking something along the lines of putting the laptops on either end and the two monitors in the middle but haven't fleshed it all out yet. I could also go monitor, work laptop, monitor, home laptop. Trying to figure out the aesthetic of it all in my head.

At a minimum, I want to be able to have both laptops connected to a dedicated monitor (without having to switch inputs, etc). If I had to switch inputs on one to switch to a PS4, that is not a problem.

Where I'm debating is the 'work aspect'. When connected to the work computer, would there be a bigger benefit on the larger resolution. But the things I debate are the flat/curved and if I get the samsung one I'm sort of 'locked in' to it being used for work only. Whereas if I got the AOC one I'd have flexibility to use it for other things I would presume.