[SOLVED] Compatibility and bottlenecking

Feb 10, 2020
Hello!So i currently have a PC with Xeon E5410 and a GT710 2GB and i want to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1050TI so i wanted to check bottlenecks first.I tested my current CPU with the new GPU and it says its gonna be a 60% bottleneck (cpu side),so i went back to check the bottleneck between my current setup and i couldnt find the cpu so i went with the E5440 instead which said there is a 100% bottleneck (gpu side).I checked the difference between E5410 and E5440 and its not really that big...Anyway i thought i would buy the X5450 along with GTX 1050 ti but there still is a 30% bottleneck...so how well does it work?Is it worth changing my cpu at all to the x5450?I cant buy a lot of other xeon models because theyre not available.Any thoughts?

Solution
Are you using a software that TELLS you you have a bottleneck? If it is one of those off the net they are all RUBBISH, never let them update drivers etc..... death. However that is a 10yr old CPU and is going to struggle with anything other than old or basic games. If you want to get decent service out of the 1050ti I fell you would have to upgrade your..... MoBo, CPU, RAM and also thew PSU if it is also 10yrs old....

Really getting a GTX 1050ti is not worth it on your current setup, and a GTX 1660S would be a way better as part of an up-grade budget GPU than the 1050ti.

Are you running DDR 2 or 3 RAM?
Are you using a software that TELLS you you have a bottleneck? If it is one of those off the net they are all RUBBISH, never let them update drivers etc..... death. However that is a 10yr old CPU and is going to struggle with anything other than old or basic games. If you want to get decent service out of the 1050ti I fell you would have to upgrade your..... MoBo, CPU, RAM and also thew PSU if it is also 10yrs old....

Really getting a GTX 1050ti is not worth it on your current setup, and a GTX 1660S would be a way better as part of an up-grade budget GPU than the 1050ti.

Solution
Feb 10, 2020

Hi,Im not using any software,i just checked with the online bottleneck calculator.
I also plan on getting another PSU
But if i were to get another Motherboard,what would you recommend,in a budget of maybe 30$?We have another coin :(
Ill check that gpu out too.
Im running 4GB DDR3.

Phew, not much of a budget there... any Mobo for a better CPU is going to cost double that at least, what Mobo do you presently have? Which part of the world are you in?

The on-line Bottleneck calculator is rubbish to, it does not take your Mobo, Ram, OS etc into consideration..... loads of things can slow your gaming that may have nothing to do with CPU or GPU.

The CPU is going to limit your upgrade path for sure, maybe better to wait and have a bit more cash to do a serious up-grade. The new 4000 series Ryzens will come out later in the year making the Ryzen 2 series and their Mobos (b 450, x 470) MUCH cheaper. If I we you I would save my moneyand wait !!!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020
Phew, not much of a budget there... any Mobo for a better CPU is going to cost double that at least, what Mobo do you presently have? Which part of the world are you in?
I forgot the model but what i do know about it is it has the LGA 771 socket.I could go check.Also im from Romania,ebay shipping is 60$ and apparently i find a lot of the stuff i need there.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi,Im not using any software,i just checked with the online bottleneck calculator.
Don't. Just don't. Bottleneck calculators are complete trash.

Im running 4GB DDR3.

That could be a limiting factor.

The things that we really need to know are:
  • What is your existing CPU? (which you told us)
  • What is your existing GPU? (which you told us)
  • What is the exact brand/model of your PSU, or a clear photo of the specifications label of the PSU
  • What games are you playing?
  • What are the specifications of your monitor? (refresh rate, resolution, and if it has GSync, FreeSync, or neither)
  • What are your expectations in performance? (high frame rates, 60 frames/second at medium details? at max details? etc)

Feb 10, 2020
Don't. Just don't. Bottleneck calculators are complete trash.

That could be a limiting factor.

The things that we really need to know are:
  • What is your existing CPU? (which you told us)
  • What is your existing GPU? (which you told us)
  • What is the exact brand/model of your PSU, or a clear photo of the specifications label of the PSU
  • What games are you playing?
  • What are the specifications of your monitor? (refresh rate, resolution, and if it has GSync, FreeSync, or neither)
  • What are your expectations in performance? (high frame rates, 60 frames/second at medium details? at max details? etc)
Hi,ill get your info about the PSU tomorrow.
Im looking to play any games ranging from FPS,to MOBA, basically anything that comes up,Gta V too.
My monitor is currently 4:3,60hz,im looking to get 60fps on any preset.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi,ill get your info about the PSU tomorrow.
Im looking to play any games ranging from FPS,to MOBA, basically anything that comes up,Gta V too.
My monitor is currently 4:3,60hz,im looking to get 60fps on any preset.
4:3, but what resolution? And, what kind of connectors do you have on your monitor (VESA, HDMI, etc)? That could possibly be a limiting factor in what video cards you can get?

Feb 10, 2020
4:3, but what resolution? And, what kind of connectors do you have on your monitor (VESA, HDMI, etc)? That could possibly be a limiting factor in what video cards you can get?
Hi,my resolution is 1280x1024 (max) and im using a VGA cable.Also i might use my Smart Tv for gaming but im not sure.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi,my resolution is 1280x1024 (max) and im using a VGA cable.Also i might use my Smart Tv for gaming but im not sure.
Ok, so, one potential downside is that most newer video cards don't have the VGA type connector anymore. Even DVI is now starting to fall by the wayside. GOOD adapters ("active" adapters) to go from DVI or HDMI to VGA tend to be a little pricey. The cheaper "passive" adapters are either unreliable, or won't work at all.

Now, the whole system is old. The CPU is from 2007, and I believe the RAM is DDR2. If it's an OEM system (Dell, HP, etc) those are notorious for being finicky about newer video cards.

A more powerful video card will help, say, for example, a GTX 750 Ti, assuming your power supply is up to it. However, this is just a crutch.

I think a 1050Ti might work, but I couldn't say that for certain, and again, it will improve things. Making sure your power supply can handle it (and has a PCIe connector, if the particular model of 1050Ti you get requires one), will be important.

Overall, though, you need a newer system, but at least the newer video card can be carried over to a newer system that you buy/put together in the future.