Compatibility between Micro ATX / Mini-ITX case, Mini-ITX mobo and graphics card

Pablo_4

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hi, I am building a new computer and this time I wanted to try a Mini-ITX borad. I found a case I like.

After looking to thousands of pictures, I started to wondering if, once the motherboard is installed on the case, the slots for the video card on the back of the case (plate with video connectors) would not be too low for the video card to fit once is inserted on the pci express slot on the board.

Here are the components I am trying to fit:

Case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/masterbox-q300p/
Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf
Video Card: any video card under 290mm.

What do you think, once I install the motherboard on the case, will the video card fit on the PCS slots AND ALSO be aligned with the slots for the graphics card slots on the rear of the case?.

Thanks!!!!

Solution
There won't be any issues installing a Mini ITX board in a Micro ATX case, the GPU will go in the only available slot.

No idea why their marketing images show the GPU in the bottom slots, that is actually incorrect. Maybe they wanted the case to look more empty inside.(Ah, the CPU cooler they used blocked the first GPU slot, a terrible compromise)

If you are looking at a Micro ATX case, any reason you wouldn't get a Micro ATX board? You would have at least two more available slots with a dual slot GPU for any potential future expansion. Also might gain some fan headers etc in the process.

The only truly useful thing about the slightly overlarge case is that some of the new high end GPUs exceed the dual slot form factor and creep in...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There won't be any issues installing a Mini ITX board in a Micro ATX case, the GPU will go in the only available slot.

No idea why their marketing images show the GPU in the bottom slots, that is actually incorrect. Maybe they wanted the case to look more empty inside.(Ah, the CPU cooler they used blocked the first GPU slot, a terrible compromise)

If you are looking at a Micro ATX case, any reason you wouldn't get a Micro ATX board? You would have at least two more available slots with a dual slot GPU for any potential future expansion. Also might gain some fan headers etc in the process.

The only truly useful thing about the slightly overlarge case is that some of the new high end GPUs exceed the dual slot form factor and creep in 2.5-3 slot territory. Those wouldn't fit in a lot of Mini ITX cases.

Solution

Pablo_4

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Hi Eximo! Thanks for the comment, that was quick!

To be honest, at this point I am kinda infatuated with this board. I am not a motherboards expert so after investigating a little bit I got a list of features I would like the board to have, as shielded M2 connector, CNVi 802.11ac 2x2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi, RGB lighting (yes I am infected with the RGB decease). Believe or not, this is the only motherboard I found that has all those features, and actually didn't found much on the Micro ATX universe, even when I give up with RGB, the Micro ATX boards WITH on board wifi available, are 100 or more usd above the busget.

In my case the CPU fan will not be a problem, is way smaller that the one on Cooler Master's page.

By the way, the graphics card I would install on this build is this one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970WF3OC-4GD-rev-10-11#ov

I know I am complicating things trying to use a big graphics card, on a medium size case, over the smallest motherboard, but I like challenges :D. If this does not work I will go back to a normal ATX case and start all over again with the components investigation.

So, you think I will be able to get this build to fit? After looking for ours on internet I was not able to find even one example with this configuration.

ITX is a subset of M-ATX and will fit.
Your graphics card will be fine and will mount in the only pcie slot on the itx motherboard.
But, you will usually pay a price premium for ITX.
I would look for a M-ATX motherboard.
You will normally get more robust voltage regulation and slots for add in cards if you need wifi for instance.

Pablo_4

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Thanks geofelt. I didn't found many good M-ATX boards with onboard wifi on my budget, the cheapest one starts 100 dolars above this mini itx one. I am starting to think to go back to a regular ATX case with a regular ATX board to avoid this problems, but I wanted to give a try to this build first.

One can always use a usb wifi dongle. Perhaps $15 for a good one.
That will expand your motherboard options.

Keep the case.
I always think one should buy a case they love.
It will be with you for a long time.
If no M-ATX options are available, so be it.
I see that there is an announcement for the asus maximus XI gene M-ATX motherboard for a top end build:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-GENE/

One other thing, you case can support a air cooler up to 157mm high.
One of the best will be the scythe kotetsu mark II @154mm.
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/kotetsu-mark-ii.html

Pablo_4

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Being the first time I use a community blog to ask something, I need to say I am amazed by the cool answers I am getting.

I will follow your advice and buy this case I felt in love with.

The new ROG-MAXIMUS-XI GENE looks amazing!!! Is a little bit more expensive than the one I am getting, but I need to admint, looks great and it has cool features.

For CPU cooling I am going try to re-use the Corsair Hydro Series H60 from my old build, I believe it will fit just fine.
(https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H60-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060007-WW)

Thanks Geofelt, your feedback was very helpful!

You have not stated what processor you intend to use.
Since you already have a H60, you might as well try it and see how you do.

If you will be using a K suffix processor, I think it is unlikely to be strong enough for a overclock that the processor is capable of.
Still, any of the new 8/9th gen K suffix processors are very strong even at stock.

Pablo_4

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Hey Geofelt, I am planing to buy a Intel Core i7-8700, I thought about the K version but is out of budget and actually out of my experiment for now because I am not well form on overclocking. The Corsair H60 should do the trick, I believe. If I found issues I would have to upgrade to a double fan water cooling kit.

You are fine with the i7-8700.
It comes with a stock cooler, and your H60 is much better than that.

But, most places the 8700K is not much more, and you are leaving some 30% cpu performance on the table.

If your main use is for gaming, I might suggest that a i5-9600K will cost the same or less and will be a better gamer.
Most games do not effectively use more than 2-3 threads. The 9600K has 6.

As to overclocking, it is a bit of a misnomer these days. The K processors are designed to have their multiplier raised if you have a z370/z390 motherboard.
Voltages can be set at auto.
Intel does not warrant how high.
It depends on your luck in getting a good chip, as well as the cooling capacity of your case and cooler.
Early reports are showing 5.0 with little trouble.

If you are certain that no overclocking, ever is in your future, your motherboard can be a much cheaper H310 or B360 based board.

Pablo_4

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Mr. Geofelt, you are the real MVP. After reading your comment I realize that Intel 9th generation are not all Core i9, ha! One little number is enough to get me confused. Now I get it, 9th generation is a complete new versio of all Core iX processors, and definitively Its a better idea to get a Core i5-9600k, which is indeed cheaper.

You have help me a lot. Let me know if I can make something for you in return.

Sincerely, an amateur/enthusiast Argentinian PC builder.