Compatibility Check for CPU and Motherboard

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
You guys are probably pretty sick of these kind of questions, but I just want to make sure I'm buying the right parts before I do so.

I currently have an i7-3930k and a GTX 760 ready to put into a build, however they're the only parts I have. I understand that the 3930k requires an LGA2011 CPU slot, and I think I've found a cost-effective MOBO that I'd like to buy to use in my system, but I want to make sure it will work first.

MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Intel LGA2011-3 Micro-ATX Motherboard

Any info?

Thanks,
wertie.

Solution

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks - changed the question, I found a different motherboard that is within my price rangle

Definitely not looking for a new motherboard; don't have the money for it. I'm building the rig for my brother's birthday so he can play games on it, the CPU (despite being slightly old) should still perform fine shouldn't it? 6 cores and sits around 3.5-4ghz processing speed, it's just that motherboards compatible with it are far and few between

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks, just updated. The news motherboard I've listed should be compatible shouldn't it? It's a 2011 socket Asus X99 (Full name updated in the question)

Socket 2011 and socket 2011-3 are still different. You can't use a 3930k on a socket 2011-3 platform.
Try looking at these:
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=21&sort=a8

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Damn. Finding a MOBO on the cheap for this CPU is going to be difficult isn't it?

I got it in a box of computer parts I bought from someone for $110 - they said the parts were taken from a working system, they just upgraded a few of their computers and were looking to sell all the parts. Would it be worth it selling the CPU and finding another one that's more compatible with other Motherboards?

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Was just thinking about that then. I'm not 100% sure that the CPU works (bought in a box of random computer parts; parts I've tested so far have worked). What CPU would you suggest I go for within the price range of selling the i7?

Forgive me for answering a question with a question, but what other working parts do you have that you're willing to sell? Are they cosmetically damaged (scratched, painted, etc)?

Did the seller not offer to sell the motherboard as well?
You can try to sell it but it will only offset a partial of the price of a recent gen i7 cpu from intel.
I believe the price being sold is around $150 used on ebay.

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

That's perfectly alright!

I'm willing to sell everything I got in the box (the only thing I was going to keep was the CPU for the build, however that's now out of that frame anyway). I catalogued everything I got from the box; a few old graphics cards (gtx8800 being the best - old but gold), few old CPU's, some CPU cooling, HDD's, disk drives, PSU's, etc... I quickly googled what each of them are selling for atm and priced the whole box at ~$1200, however I don't know how reliable that is. The only problem is that I don't know which ones work and what doesn't, and I can't test the majority of them because I don't have a system to test them in. From memory none of them have any visible wear, and the three motherboards still had stuff plugged into it (which makes me think that the box was literally 3 computers put together that someone disassembled at some point, with a few random items thrown in). The i7 has the name of the CPU written clearly, which suggests the heating glue hasn't worn off, making me think it wasn't used extensively; or maybe it didn't work when they plugged it in either.

tl;dr Don't know how much of it works, assuming everything works the total price of everything in it is ~$1200

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Nah, it was in some static-safe plastic with three other CPU's in a box of random computer parts. Even if I sell it for $150, I make a profit, and then I can sell some of the other stuff in the box to make up enough to get another CPU probably

Three computers worth of old hardware... Who would pay $1200 for that? Try looking at completed sales, not current asking prices.

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

I wouldn't sell everything together; sell everything separately for low prices (e.g. one of the HDD's for $10). Accumulated, if I sold everything separately like that it's about $1200. Most of those prices were based off ebay/gumtree selling prices, I didn't go straight for the retail sale price

If you can get even $800 of that, you could build a really nice PC. The thing is, I find it hard to believe that everyone will buy them quickly. It'll probably take over a month to sell the less popular items.

Solution

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

True. I think that'll probably be the route I'll have to take. So sell all the parts (that I can at least), and with the money I can get from that buy a better CPU that's more compatible with MOBO's and such. Do you think that would be the best course of action?

Depends. How soon do you need the new PC? Is it going to be a gift or something that needs to be ready on a specific date?

wertie8297

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

It's as a gift, but he knows (and is alright) with it being a bit late. I think this is the path I'll have to go with anyway. Thankyou for your help!