[SOLVED] Compatibility Check for my System

Sep 3, 2021
Hey all, kinda getting impatient waiting around for graphics cards and I've found an RX 6600 XT ASUS ROG Strix (8GB OC) for a not completely terrible price of ~£470. I've been doing research and I've not seen anything saying otherwise and I know this is a good place to ask.

Before I buy it and give in to the high prices, I want to know if my system is compatible. I originally wanted to get the ROG Strix RTX 3060 but that's not really on the table anymore, from my understanding all ROG Strix components are compatible with each other (only CPUs and MBs might be a problem):

My Specs
  • CPU: Intel i5-10600K 4.1Ghz (w/ Intel UHD 630 graphics)
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING (LGA 1200)
  • PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 650W Gold PSU
  • RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 C18
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case
Potential GPU
  • GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600XT 8GB ROG STRIX OC
    Note that initially I tried reusing an old GTX 970 that had not been used for years and it did not work. So there may be NVIDIA drivers/files on my system still that I have not seen
I've checked that I have 2 8-pin (6x2) PCI-E connectors with my PSU. It seems like all is okay, I just need extra affirmation as there is no clear indicators online that I have seen.
Thanks!

Solution
Yes, as long as it fits within your case and plugs into your MB and PSU meetings at least minimum requirements (I typically recommend going up one to have some spare room, so min 550, run 650, etc.).

If your 970 didn't work, I doubt there would be Nvidia drivers, just maybe generic windows drivers. You would have needed to install the drivers yourself, which will be the same for AMD. Worse case, you boot into safe mode with DDU install and remove all graphics card drivers and start the install process over after a reboot.
Sep 3, 2021
The two things you should only concern yourself with using modern gpu really is will it fit in the case, and will my psu power it and everything else.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. As long as it fits within my case and plugs into my MB and PSU cables (which have enough wattage to spare) it should work?

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes, as long as it fits within your case and plugs into your MB and PSU meetings at least minimum requirements (I typically recommend going up one to have some spare room, so min 550, run 650, etc.).

If your 970 didn't work, I doubt there would be Nvidia drivers, just maybe generic windows drivers. You would have needed to install the drivers yourself, which will be the same for AMD. Worse case, you boot into safe mode with DDU install and remove all graphics card drivers and start the install process over after a reboot.

Solution
Sep 3, 2021
Great thanks for the help all of you^ I'll update this thread in the future once I have the gpu and it works. Fingers crossed it all goes well!

Sep 3, 2021
UPDATE
Took me most the day to get things working, along with a Windows reinstall (for other issues). The ROG Strix RX 6600 XT OC seems to work fine with my Z490-E motherboard!

If anyone sees this, I'm new to AMD's software and would love to know how to ensure my dGPU is being used as the primary graphics component and how to change the refresh rate of my monitors. I do not seem to be able to do it via Intel's Graphics Control Panel anymore...