[SOLVED] compatibility motherboard and CPU

Aug 14, 2021
I am considering buying a motherboard (Supermicro X11SPi-TF) and a Intel Xeon 4210R CPU. Branded (f.i. HPE) CPU's are available and from what I read it seems that these components are indeed compatible. I am seeking a confirmation (and more in general an outline of the compatibility of (branded) motherboard and (branded) CPU's.

Solution
Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website and do three things:

1) Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendor's Lists) for CPU's supported by the X11SPi-TF motherboard (check version as well).

2) Download and read the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. You should read the entire manual but pay close attention to sections/paragraphs regarding the installation of the CPU. Be sure read any caveats, warnings, foot notes, or fine print in general anywhere such is found.

Likely the User Manual will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more details on any number of things.

3) Visit the manufacturer's website's Forums and FAQ's. You may find applicable comments there. Pay attention to what is said and what is not said.

Ralston18

Titan
Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website and do three things:

1) Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendor's Lists) for CPU's supported by the X11SPi-TF motherboard (check version as well).

2) Download and read the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. You should read the entire manual but pay close attention to sections/paragraphs regarding the installation of the CPU. Be sure read any caveats, warnings, foot notes, or fine print in general anywhere such is found.

Likely the User Manual will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more details on any number of things.

3) Visit the manufacturer's website's Forums and FAQ's. You may find applicable comments there. Pay attention to what is said and what is not said.

Reactions: MordicusTegen
Solution
Aug 14, 2021
Information on the X11SPi-TF motherboard is limited and contradictory. In the manual (revision 1.1) it is mentioned that "The Supermicro X11SPi-TF supports an Intel® Xeon 81xx/61xx/51xx/41xx/31xx series (Socket P0-LGA 3647) processor." The manual addresses DDR4 Memory Support for 82xx/62xx/52xx/42xx/32xx Platform too, though. Further, the Quick Reference Guide (rev. 1.1) and at least one earlier manuals (revision 1.0c) state that "The X11SPi-TF motherboard supports the Intel® Xeon 81xx/61xx/51xx/41xx/31xx
and 82xx/62xx/52xx/42xx/32xx series (Socket P0-LGA3647) processors."
According to the product page on the website "2nd Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors and Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors, Single Socket LGA-3647 (Socket P)" in general are supported.

Probably more of a question for Supermicro (I asked them without yet receiving a reply), but does anyone know whether the X11SPi-TF board supports the Xeon Scalablae 4210R?

Further a more generalized follow up question, as I am still in a bit of a doubt. Provided the socket, etc. match, am I understanding correct that normally the following combinations work/ not work

motherboard CPU (tray or box) will work
branded (HP, Dell, etc.) same brand yes
branded (HP, Dell, etc.) other (non)brand possibly
generic (Supermicro, etc.) any (non)brand yes

Or am I oversimplifying?