[SOLVED] compatibility question - a bit confused about NVMe

Jun 30, 2020
Hi, everyone. My first entry into this forum, thanks in advance for the help.

First time PC builder, with my 12 year old. Settled on Ryzen 5 3600 processor and an x570 mobo (ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ). https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/specifications/

I thought I understood PCIe 4.0 and NVME reasonably well, but some of the language is now confusing me and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before we buy the motherboard and SSD.

The relevant mobo specs say:

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
AMD X570 chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
8 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)

The M.2 SSD card we are considering is the Crucial P1 shown here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

It's an NVMe PCIe card, which may answer the compatibility question for those of you who understand this better than me. Is it compatible?

My confusion results from this, so help me understand. Does PCIE 4.0 x 4 on the M.2 motherboard socket spec (which I think means 4 lanes of PCIE 4.0) NECESSARILY mean its going to communicate over a PCIE 4.0 interface using the NVMe protocol? For some reason, I thought an M.2 socket might use either a "PCIE protocol" or an "NVME protocol" or a "SATA protocol" and was worried that the SSD being spec'd as NVMe might mean it wasn't compatible with the motherboard M.2 socket protocol (which references only PCIE and SATA). I tried to figure out the answer reading various articles but the language used IMO is sometimes loose and/or sloppy.

If the only answer I get out of this is that the SSD and the mobo work together using NVME, then all is good. If I learn something in the process, that's gravy.

Thank you.

John

Solution
For a storage device, and the M.2 slot, PCIe == NVMe.

(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) = Will work with a SATA M.2 drive OR a PCIe/NVMe 4.0 drive
(PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) = Will work with a SATA M.2 drive OR a PCIe/NVMe 3.0 drive
(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) - Will work with a SATA M.2 drive OR a PCIe/NVMe 4.0 drive

A SATA drive will only operate at SATA performance.
A PCIe 3.0 drive will only work at PCIe performance.

The Crucial P1 will work in any of the 3.

USAFRet

Titan

(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) = Will work with a SATA M.2 drive OR a PCIe/NVMe 4.0 drive
(PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) = Will work with a SATA M.2 drive OR a PCIe/NVMe 3.0 drive
(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) - Will work with a SATA M.2 drive OR a PCIe/NVMe 4.0 drive

Reactions: namtrag
Solution
Jun 30, 2020

Thanks!