[SOLVED] Compatibility when upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajesticSapling

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Hi guys,

I made a budget pc around 5 years ago and wanted to upgrade its graphics card. I'm not too sure on any compatibility issues I may have though since i've never upgraded. I used to have an AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card and want to upgrade it to a GTX 1060 and was wondering if there might be any problems in doing so? Would also be open to getting a 1050TI if that makes a difference!

ComponentSelection
CPUAMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
MotherboardGigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury Blue 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Video CardEVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card
CaseNZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power SupplyCooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Hoping all is well,

Ben

Last edited:
Solution
There shouldn't be a problem going to a 1060 3G - however you might find your CPU to be a limiting factor with its age and performance. But generally, should be fine. It may be worth checking your CPU and GPU usage in your typical applications, if it is your CPU that is usually limiting, then a GPU upgrade won't make much difference in many cases.

The only thing I would give as food for thought however:
Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Poor quality PSU, so depending on how long you've had it, you may want to consider replacing it with a good quality unit at some point and depending on if you carry items over to a new build eventually.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There shouldn't be a problem going to a 1060 3G - however you might find your CPU to be a limiting factor with its age and performance. But generally, should be fine. It may be worth checking your CPU and GPU usage in your typical applications, if it is your CPU that is usually limiting, then a GPU upgrade won't make much difference in many cases.

Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Poor quality PSU, so depending on how long you've had it, you may want to consider replacing it with a good quality unit at some point and depending on if you carry items over to a new build eventually.

Solution

MajesticSapling

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014

Thanks for your response! I'm definitely going to start upgrading all my components one so thanks a lot for your input! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.