Question Compatible 64GB RAM kits for Crosshair VI Hero

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Pretty much asked this everywhere now, and still no solid answers, other than 'it should work with any 3200 kit'

I'm trying to buy a 2x32GB memory kit to upgrade my ancient 16 GB vengeance LPX I'm running currently. I know my motherboard supports 128GB maximum, so it should theoretically support 32GB modules. CPU is a ryzen 9 5900x and the BIOS is the latest from Asus.

I've already tested a crucial furyX 3200mhz kit, and was hit with the C5 and 0D Q-codes, even after swapping sticks around and wiping the CMOS.

Asus's QVL hasn't been updated since 1st gen ryzen, when the board couldn't even run 128GB, so it's utterly useless for 2x32GB kits, and Asus support were clueless too.

I'm considering this kit now: https://amzn.eu/d/1UnAsVH (patriot viper elite ii 3600) - I know I won't be able to run it at 3600. I've also considered a Corsair LPX kit, but it's getting dangerously close to £200 and I REALLY don't want to be spending that much.

It would be good to hear from people who have used this board and have ideas of RAM compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
What processor are you working with? That board is based off of the X370 chipset, meaning even if you had a 5000 series processor(not APU) in there you'd be at best able to get to DDR4-3200MHz. Going beyond that would mean you change to a B550 chipset and if you don't have a 5000 series, then a B550 chipset motherboard to go along with it in order to see DDR4-3600MHz out of the box.

I've already tested a crucial furyX 3200mhz kit, and was hit with the C5 and 0D Q-codes, even after swapping sticks around and wiping the CMOS.
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
What processor are you working with? That board is based off of the X370 chipset, meaning even if you had a 5000 series processor(not APU) in there you'd be at best able to get to DDR4-3200MHz. Going beyond that would mean you change to a B550 chipset and if you don't have a 5000 series, then a B550 chipset motherboard to go along with it in order to see DDR4-3600MHz out of the box.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

I'm running a 5900x and on the latest BIOS (8601).

I'm not expecting to run at anything over 3200 (my current RAM is running at 2133mhz...) - you simply can't buy RAM slower than that now anyway, I've had this board since 2018, and I've no plans to replace it.

---edit---
Some rumours around suggesting it will run some RAM at 3600, but as I say, I really don't care about the speed, I care more about the memory quantity as I am using the system for scientific compute workloads.

Last edited: