[SOLVED] Compatible GPU with Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P SFF

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Good evening! Here it's me appearing again.

Well... after doing a huge effort, finally could get a 150$ budget, and currently planning upgrading from PC since 2009 (yeah...).

With current budget, and trying to get a i5 +3 GHz available in Venezuela (shipping from U.S. is 15 $/lb), my best option is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P SFF.

Background told, I'm trying to cover all possible holes before even going to store again. And this is why I come here.

I have almost 6 hours trying to figure a compatible GPU for this PC. Officially, Lenovo states supported GPU is:
  • ATI Radeon HD5450
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX380 (DVI + DP)
Of course, I'm trying to find a more... powerful GPU for it.

After messing on Lenovo forums (what left me with no real understandable information), I'm coming to ask for help about compatible GPU with this computer.

Just try to have something in hand: I have (for now) no real plans replacing original PSU. An EVGA 400W PSU is worth 70$, and for me it has higher priority finding a compatible GPU, than needing to replace PSU and then buying the GPU.

Solution
SFF OEM PCs require low profile GPUs. Low profile GPUs almost never come with dedicated power from the PSU, so the absolute best you'll get is the GTX1650 LP, which requires 75W from the PCIe slot, and is horrendously expensive for the performance you're getting.

If you think you're going to cut a hot rod hole in the side panel of the case to allow a full height GPU, you're still stuck because GPUs that require dedicated power from the PSU are sucking the full 75W from the PCIe slot and the PSU cable is just supplying the remainder. And I don't think they're able to adjust for slots that aren't able to push that much wattage.

So again, you're going to be stuck with the GT1030 GDDR5 as your best option. IFF the PCIe slot can...
I'd have to dig, but the mobo probably only puts out 35W from the PCIe slot, so you're going to be limited to that, regardles of what PSU you buy. (GT1030 GDDR5 is the best you're going to get)

Does the mobo have a standard 24-pin power connector?

If you haven't bought it yet, don't buy SFF OEM PCs with the intent to upgrade them to gaming machines. Get a mid tower.

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
I'd have to dig, but the mobo probably only puts out 35W from the PCIe slot, so you're going to be limited to that, regardles of what PSU you buy. (GT1030 GDDR5 is the best you're going to get)

Does the mobo have a standard 24-pin power connector?

If you haven't bought it yet, don't buy SFF OEM PCs with the intent to upgrade them to gaming machines. Get a mid tower.

If I can recall right, it was said the PCIe can put out 40W. I know that's... a joke, but you know.

Yes, it has the standard 24-pin power connector. Is that good or bad?

I haven't bought it yet, but with current budget there isn't such thing as (even) a i5 in less than 300$. The cheapest i5 Towers I could find have i5-2405s (2.5 GHz) assembled by seller for the not-exactly-good price of 340$.

I have, in fact, three SFF options, but I've heard a lot think about Dell SFF and replacements, so... I have those two options half-discarded.

SFF OEM PCs require low profile GPUs. Low profile GPUs almost never come with dedicated power from the PSU, so the absolute best you'll get is the GTX1650 LP, which requires 75W from the PCIe slot, and is horrendously expensive for the performance you're getting.

If you think you're going to cut a hot rod hole in the side panel of the case to allow a full height GPU, you're still stuck because GPUs that require dedicated power from the PSU are sucking the full 75W from the PCIe slot and the PSU cable is just supplying the remainder. And I don't think they're able to adjust for slots that aren't able to push that much wattage.

So again, you're going to be stuck with the GT1030 GDDR5 as your best option. IFF the PCIe slot can do 40W, you might be able to get away with an underclocked RX550...
I'm not confident that AMD/Nvidia will dip that low on the totem pole ever again.

TBH, if you can't find a mid tower, keep saving your money. You're going to regret an OEM SFF purchase. Just trying to help. Slide on over to the "Prebuilt and Enterprise" forum section. There's loads of threads from people with OEM SFF PCs that want to upgrade GPU but can't because of this very same reason. At least you down own the machine yet. Learn from other peoples misfortune.

Last edited:
Solution

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019

So again, you're going to be stuck with the GT1030 GDDR5 as your best option. IFF the PCIe slot can do 40W, you might be able to get away with an underclocked RX550...
I'm not confident that AMD/Nvidia will dip that low on the totem pole ever again.

TBH, if you can't find a mid tower, keep saving your money. You're going to regret an OEM SFF purchase. Just trying to help. Slide on over to the "Prebuilt and Enterprise" forum section. There's loads of threads from people with OEM SFF PCs that want to upgrade GPU but can't because of this very same reason. At least you down own the machine yet. Learn from other peoples misfortune.

I'll take that tip, then. I'll try to find an affordable DT, and open another Thread with that model.

As for reference, I was left outdated on Core 2 Duo generation (currently running in a HP dx2400 Microtower), and my current GPU is a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, so you can guess even the fact I need to mess with another cable for the GPU is difficult to comprehend.

Jan 18, 2020
I have the tower version does that mean my gpu slot only puts out 40w? When i tried on my gtx 960 without the 6 pin connector, reallying only on the gpu slot on the motherboard power, it turned on but it told me to connect a 6 pin connector but since my pc actually booted and didn't have a black blank screen does that mean the gpu slot gave enough power for my gtx 960? And was compatible and i only need a 6-pin?