[SOLVED] Compatible hard drives for Dell XPS 17 (9710)

Dec 15, 2021
Dear community,

I have a Dell XPS 17 (9170). I bought it with the 2TB NVMe hard drive, which was the largest available in the shop.

On the specs page: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-in/xps-17-9710-laptop/xps-17-9710-setup-and-specifications/s...

It gives some details of the hard drives it can be upgraded to. I would like to keep the current 2TB hard drive and either add another 4TB or 2TB NVMe.

Could someone say if that is possible? And if so, what is the description of the hard drive I should be looking for?

If it makes any difference I have dual booted the laptop with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, which is the OS I will be using. I don't use Windows.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
It's the 9710.

Thanks for your help...
You might want to contact dell and see what they have to say.
This is saying you can fit it with 2x4TB.
Dear community,

I have a Dell XPS 17 (9170). I bought it with the 2TB NVMe hard drive, which was the largest available in the shop.

On the specs page: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-in/xps-17-9710-laptop/xps-17-9710-setup-and-specifications/s...

It gives some details of the hard drives it can be upgraded to. I would like to keep the current 2TB hard drive and either add another 4TB or 2TB NVMe.

Could someone say if that is possible? And if so, what is the description of the hard drive I should be looking for?

If it makes any difference I have dual booted the laptop with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, which is the OS I will be using. I don't use Windows.

Thank you for your time.
Dell shows you can order the pc with 2 4TB ssd's.
I would think you could add a 2 or 4TB m.2 to what you have.

The spec sheet implies to me that you can have only 1 NVMe drive larger than 1 TB.

Storage type Interface type Capacity

M.2 2230 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, up to 32 Gbps

Up to 256 GB

M.2 2280 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, up to 32 Gbps

Up to 1 TB

M.2 2280 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen4 x4, up to 64 Gbps

Up to 4 TB

Dear community,

Thank you for your time.
Your title says 9710 but your question says 9170?

It's the 9710.

Thanks for your help...

Reactions: AlanColmesNewOrder
Solution
Dec 15, 2021

I did contact Dell, and they just pasted in the information from the specs. When I asked if they can give a specific drive or say the specific drive that the laptop has they just said to contact a service center (i.e. an external company that is accredited to service Dell computers). I thought Dell would be a bit better than this.

Anyway, I have found the specific drive that is in this laptop:

Kioxia XG7 PCIe 4.0

Yes, they do sell it with 8TB on the website. I am just trying to find out what my options are with the drive that is already in it.

Dec 15, 2021
I went for a: Sabrent 4TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 (SB-RKTQ4-HTSS-4TB).

It works fine.

So it seems that this system will take two 4TB hard drives, but they need to be PCIe 4.0 (also referred to as Gen 4 or 4x4).