Question Compatible memory configurations for the Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ?

mementous

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Memory specs for this mobo have 4 x DIMM, max 128GB, DDR5 .../5600(OC)/.... The Asus QVL lists Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR5 5600MHz as supported but with no information about the 2x32GB or the 4x16GB configurations for the same RAM.

Would it be safe to assume those configurations would work if timings and voltage are the same as the 2x16GB included on the QVL?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"but with no information about the 2x32GB or the 4x16GB configurations for the same RAM. "

Your requirement is to have 64 GB RAM - correct?

That/this is one of those situations where what is "not said" may be self-explanatory. I.e., likely not to work....

Unless explicitly stated one way or another there is no way to know other than by trying/testing. Which could be risky....

You might be able to discover more via the DIMM manufacturer's websites. Manufacturer's often provide some sort of configuration tool to help select and configure RAM. Again - no guaratees.

Or someone who discovered the necessary/required RAM configuration may post accordingly.

Details matter so read carefully.

And do remember that some motherboards require that the first physically installed DIMM be placed in a specific slot. Check the User Manual.

mementous

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks. That's exactly what I was worried about -- that "not indicated" implied "not applicable". I read everything I could find and tried -- but failed -- to contact Asus support. The user manual didn't clear this up for me either.

That mobo is designed to handle 128Gb of RAM. So it seems very strange their own QVL doesn't have even one 128GB configuration listed. Some reviewers who gave that RAM positive reviews on Newegg mentioned 2x32GB configurations on other Asus Z690 boards, FWIW.

I'd be content with 64GB but I would max it out at 128GB if I had some confidence. Can't think of one good reason to build a 128GB mobo with zero information about compatible 128GB memory configurations.

jonwillard

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
FWIW I have this MOBO and 128G of this:
G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40V Dual Channel Desktop Memory F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR (Matte Black)

The memory has no issues that I've seen. I do have a boot issue where the Mobo Qled posts a blocking 0d until I clear CMOS and then I can POST and use EUFI boot to boot into windows. Asus is looking into it so I am not sure if it's memory or some other issue. I turned on one of the overclocking profiiles in Ryzen Master and all seems fine, when running. It's just that I have to clear CMOS before I boot if I want it to come up.

mementous

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
In case this helps someone else in future, I was able to install 4x32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MHz C40 (Intel optimized) on on this mobo with an i5-13600K CPU.

Letting the BIOS auto-detect the RAM frequency resulted in a setting of 4800MHz and that is the highest manual setting at which the system will boot.

Interestingly, CPU-Z lists the RAM frequency as exactly half that value, 2400MHz. Setting the frequency any higher than 4800Mhz results in booting into a "black screen" -- neither the BIOS nor the OS.

So I'm not certain what the operating frequency is, but all 128GB are in operation. Thanks for the advice!