[SOLVED] Compatible processor for motherboard with LGA-2011 - "Socket R"

Jan 3, 2019
Afternoon,
So I have a dell T5600 with 32Gigs PC3-12800 memory, Intel C600 Chipset, current processor is a Intel® Xeon E5-2609 2.4GHz, 10M, 6.4GT/s, 80W VT-x, VT-d, TXT (vPro™), Quadro M5000, LSI 1971 Raid, 2x1.2 TB SSD, BIOS Revision 18 (Latest)
Full info on this system here:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/my/en/mybsd1/sln290309/the-hardware-specifications-for-the-precision-t5600-desktop-workstation

I'm trying to use this system for an oculus, and I thought it would be fine, but it tells me the processor is too slow. Slot is an LGA-2011 "Socket-R".
I tried a new processor today, an Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 20M Cache, 2.90 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI, and I have two of them to boot, so that should be plenty of power.

Sadly, when the processor was installed, it spins up fans, like it's going to boot, but no post, no diag lights. I put back in old processor, works fine, back in new, doesn't work. Pinouts look EXACT, on the processors. I was only replacing one at the time to start small.

I thought it was a pretty close match, sane Xeon E5, just upgraded. I didn't even try going to a i5 or i7. And the machine the processors was pulled from is a T5610, so just next gen with a C602 chipset.

Any ideas what might be wrong, #1, and #2, is there any recommendation for a replacement processor for this good for gaming, and not heavy on the wallet?

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2019
Put dual E5-2670's 2.6 8C in it now, and it's got 64gigs of memory as well now. Yet the rift still complains it may experience issues.
I don't see any performance degradation, even when trying to tax it out as best I can.

Possibly the rift cant see the dual processors and 16 cores?

The E5 series (Up to 2690) is the best the Socket R will Get. 8(

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Most things can't utilize 2 processors in a regular windows environment. And no matter how many cores you have you're still stuck at 2.6 on oooooold tech single core speeds.you might not have found something yet that'll suffer but eventually something eill

C.wolf

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Afternoon,
So I have a dell T5600 with 32Gigs PC3-12800 memory, Intel C600 Chipset, current processor is a Intel® Xeon E5-2609 2.4GHz, 10M, 6.4GT/s, 80W VT-x, VT-d, TXT (vPro™), Quadro M5000, LSI 1971 Raid, 2x1.2 TB SSD, BIOS Revision 18 (Latest)
Full info on this system here:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...s-for-the-precision-t5600-desktop-workstation

I'm trying to use this system for an oculus, and I thought it would be fine, but it tells me the processor is too slow. Slot is an LGA-2011 "Socket-R".
I tried a new processor today, an Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 20M Cache, 2.90 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI, and I have two of them to boot, so that should be plenty of power.

Sadly, when the processor was installed, it spins up fans, like it's going to boot, but no post, no diag lights. I put back in old processor, works fine, back in new, doesn't work. Pinouts look EXACT, on the processors. I was only replacing one at the time to start small.

I thought it was a pretty close match, sane Xeon E5, just upgraded. I didn't even try going to a i5 or i7. And the machine the processors was pulled from is a T5610, so just next gen with a C602 chipset.

Any ideas what might be wrong, #1, and #2, is there any recommendation for a replacement processor for this good for gaming, and not heavy on the wallet?

Thanks!

Check into a BIOS update