Question Compatible Windows 10 Wi-Fi driver for 2008 Sony VAIO laptop?

That is a extremely old wifi card. Maybe look into if you can replace the board. Most laptops take fairly standard boards and newer technology is only going to be maybe $20. All depends on if you can find a video that shows how to take apart the machine and replace the card.

Intel is better than most vendor for supporting old equipment with newer drivers. Problem is you are getting very old stuff here. What I suspect is you loaded a 64bit windows install (microsoft dropped support of 32bit a few years back). You most times need a driver that is compatible with a 64bit OS and the links you have show 32bit drivers. Many times you can run drivers from stuff like windows 7 or 8 in windows 10 with few changes but I don't know if those old OS had 64bit drivers.

Then again microsoft is going to try to force everyone to buy new machines when they drop support of windows 10 since windows 11 has that security chip garbage.

Jun 29, 2023
That is a extremely old wifi card. Maybe look into if you can replace the board. Most laptops take fairly standard boards and newer technology is only going to be maybe $20. All depends on if you can find a video that shows how to take apart the machine and replace the card.

Intel is better than most vendor for supporting old equipment with newer drivers. Problem is you are getting very old stuff here. What I suspect is you loaded a 64bit windows install (microsoft dropped support of 32bit a few years back). You most times need a driver that is compatible with a 64bit OS and the links you have show 32bit drivers. Many times you can run drivers from stuff like windows 7 or 8 in windows 10 with few changes but I don't know if those old OS had 64bit drivers.

Then again microsoft is going to try to force everyone to buy new machines when they drop support of windows 10 since windows 11 has that security chip garbage.

Thanks for the response. Could I buy something like this and wi-fi would then work?

likely yes but these really cheap wifi cards are kinda suspect. You never really know how well they manufactured them. They likely use common chipset so you can get drivers from the chipset vendor but that does not tell you if they did a good job building the hardware.
Many times most the cost is the shipping so you are talking about devices that you can buy in bulk from china for about $1.

Reactions: Sereniity

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Your laptop has an intel wireless chipset that supports the a/b/g bands that are the 2.4 Mhz (slow) bandwidths. You can go to the intel site and download their system checker to see if there is something available for it. If Win10 can’t find drivers for it on its own, it’s likely not to be found but worth the shot. At a minimum you would need a USB dongle supporting at least band N just to get you on the 5 Ghz (fast) bandwidth.

Reactions: Sereniity

TRENDING THREADS