Question Complete Build Can't Boot OS without CPU fail light

Feb 26, 2023
Hey everyone, I am not sure if this is the right spot based on this being my first post here, but I am at my wits end with this build and need some help.

I helped a friend of mine put together a PC with the following parts:

CPU: Ryzen 9 7950x
Mobo: Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master
GPU: MSI Gaming Trio RTX 4090
SSD: 1TB NVME ssd, cant remember which one rn but will update if that is important to the problem
Windows 11 boot stick (purchased)
PSU: 1000W corsair gold
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB(2x16) DDR5 5200MHz
Cooler: MSI MEG coreliquid s360

Once it was put together, the PC POSTed just fine. Was able to see every component being recognized by the BIOS. We went through the install process for windows 11 and once it completed it said it need to restart several times and it may take a few mins. Once it restarted it went to boot windows from the NVME and the CPU red light on the MOBO came on and the display stopped working. Everything was still running in the case.
Things we tried to fix it:
CMOS reset many times
BIOS update (tried 3 different stable bios versions)
1 RAM stick, all slots and all sticks tried individually
Check TMP settings and secure boot settings per windows 11 instructions
Installing windows 10 instead of windows 11 (this resulted in the crash at the exact same point in the process)
Installing Kubuntu (will write more about this later)
Removing GPU and NVME drive and using a SATA ssd
Reseating CPU and cooler as well as using new thermal paste
Starting windows in safemode (got further into the startup sequence but not by much)
From what I can tell, the install was going thru properly onto the NVME or sata drive, which ever one we were using at the time, but once the PC was trying to boot from it, the CPU was giving out.

Kubuntu Story:

Alright so I booted Kubuntu from a live usb and it crashed in the same manner at first. I then decided to remove the NVME / SATA drives/ GPU and try again with onboard graphics. I was able to boot into umbuntu. All temps and usage was normal. I then installed the NVME and installed umbuntu onto the NVME drive and restarted. It loaded with no issues. I ran a CPU and a MEM test to ensure it was stable. No issues with temps or crashes. I then decided to install the GPU and try again, and it began to crash on OS startup the same way it did before. I removed the GPU and went back to how it was and now it will not make it past OS startup with giving CODE 70 and red cpu light on MOBO.

What is weird to me, is it seems like the CPU is the problem but somehow I was able to run the umbuntu cpu tests with no issues but only that one time. I feel like I have tried everything at this point and I am not sure what to do short of trying to return the CPU/MOBO. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I can spend any amount of time in the BIOS or in the recovery command prompt of the windows 11 boot drive without crashing, its only on OS startup that I get crashes.

Try unplugging everything from any usb port, to include mouse and keyboard. See if itboots to Windows then. If it does then add one thing at a time, keyboard first makes sense , then next item until you find the culprit. Then you can try to install the proper drivers for the problem item.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathkrul
Feb 26, 2023
Try unplugging everything from any usb port, to include mouse and keyboard. See if itboots to Windows then. If it does then add one thing at a time, keyboard first makes sense , then next item until you find the culprit. then you can try to install the proper drivers for the problem item.
I tried this yesterday with both windows and ubuntu. Sorry we tried so many things I left some out. I will try it again now though.

Feb 26, 2023
Have you tried using different display ports i.e. display port then hdmi? And you checked to make sure csm is disabled in bios? What is secure boot option set to?
Secure boot was disabled for ubuntu and enabled for windows 11. CSM was disabled. I am currently troubleshooting with onboard graphics so the only option is the HDMI. No change between display port or HDMI from when I had the GPU installed.

When you install windows, have NO other drive connected, or windows will put some essential parts on it.
The result is that you will not be able to boot without that device also.

A motherboard will not boot if it does not detect that a cpu cooler is installed. That might be the cause of the CPU led light.
This might be the absence of 500 rpm not being detected on the CPU_fan header.

First, as a basic functional test,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Feb 26, 2023
When you installed Win 10 how did you do that?
Windows 10 was also secure boot disabled. As an update I just removed everything from the case and built it on the mobo box. This was the setup:
MOBO/CPU/CPU COOLER/ 1 RAM STICK/ 1 Fresh SATA SSD/ Windows 11 USB bootable. It installed windows as normal (i used just a keyboard) and then once it restarts and boots from SATA drive it gets to the "Just a moment" screen and then the CPU mobo red light comes on and it shuts off the display.

Feb 26, 2023
When you install windows, have NO other drive connected, or windows will put some essential parts on it.

A motherboard will not boot if it does not detect that a cpu cooler is installed. That might be the cause of the CPU led light.

I will run the memtest now. There is only one drive installed. Also I believe the cpu cooler is working fine based on the bios information.

Feb 26, 2023
I am sorry I wasn't clear in Secure Boot what os did you choose?
I have only ever had one OS installed at a time. Maybe I am not understanding what secure boot actually is. I turn the secure boot setting in the BIOS to enabled for windows 11 install/boot attempt and turn it off in the bios for windows 10 / ubuntu. Other than that I am not sure how it works.

Feb 26, 2023

memtest86+ cannot complete with the CPU mobo red light coming on. Does this indicate the ram is defective? Even though the RAM light on the mobo isnt coming on?

I have only ever had one OS installed at a time. Maybe I am not understanding what secure boot actually is. I turn the secure boot setting in the BIOS to enabled for windows 11 install/boot attempt and turn it off in the bios for windows 10 / ubuntu. Other than that I am not sure how it works.
In bios under secure boot (in my bios anyway) it asks what do you want to run, uefi or other os. Is other selected?