[SOLVED] Complete rebuild or just new GFX board?

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi,

I am wondering if I could get by with just a graphics board update or if I need to build a new system. My system is used for general computing quite a bit, but I love to play games such as: Grid 2019, MXGP 2019, Call of Duty, etc.

My system still seems to play most games in high graphics settings in 1920x1080 120 Hz., but MXGP 2019 seems laggy with similar graphics settings. Other games, like Grid 2019 play just fine with max graphics settings in 1920x1080.

My current system specs are:

Asus Rampage IV Extreme mobo

Intel Core i7 3930K (overclocked to 4.7 GHz.)

Kingston HyperX 24 GB DDR3 RAM

EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti FTW

Noctua NH-D14 CPU heatsink

Seasonic Platinum 1200 watt PSU

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Would an upgrade to the graphics board alone be enough to carry me in game playing for a while longer? A $500 graphics board upgrade vs about $1,700 for a mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics board.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Solution
I would just upgrade the GPU because ...for me....the CPU and the rest of the system would be just fine.

I still consider that CPU quite fast and it can handle faster GPUs than your current one.

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I would just upgrade the GPU because ...for me....the CPU and the rest of the system would be just fine.

I still consider that CPU quite fast and it can handle faster GPUs than your current one.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know if I would see a significant gain by going to a more recent MOBO/CPU/RAM and GFX board over just the GFX board alone.

Thanks,