Question Completely newb question

Dec 6, 2019
Hi all,

I am completely non technically minded when it comes to PC's (lifelong console gamer) so please be gentle.

I have an old PC that was given to me by a family friend around 5 years back, I never used it much apart from storing movies and music but recently I have got back into gaming and am thinking of making the jump from console to pc (well behind the times I know).
The pc has been in the loft for around a year so I dont have access to all the system information right now but will be getting it down to have a look.
I know it runs windows xp which I will upgrade to at least windows 7 if not 10 and the motherboard is a asus m5a78l-m lx. My question is, is it worth getting a new case, graphics card and upgrading the OS and then using this for gaming or would it be like putting a brand new sound system in a 20 year old rust bucket car?
Apologies if this question causes countless eye rolls but if you don't know you have to ask.
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
"asus m5a78l-m lx"

I'm already going to say don't spend any money on the build. But for the sake of relevance, please include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

^ No need to rush, take your time parsing the information but make sure the information is concise.

Reactions: Dennymc123
Dec 6, 2019
"asus m5a78l-m lx"

I'm already going to say don't spend any money on the build. But for the sake of relevance, please include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

^ No need to rush, take your time parsing the information but make sure the information is concise.

Ok I will get the information when I am able, I figured as much but thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'll update asap