Question Complex Error 41 Crashing Issue.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Hello, I have a somewhat complex problem that I have tried to figure out for the past 4 or so days. I am getting a 41 kernel-power error every 12-18 hours. This never happened on my machine since I owned it. The main change that happened which I suspect is the cause of this, was a windows 10 update. The same day is when this started. The PC just reboots with no bsod, the only trace is the 41. This happens weather it is under load or completely idle.

What I've tried so far:
1: I rolled back to before the update. The error was still there along with my pc locking up after 30-60 seconds. I had to spam end Nvidia's tasks for files to transfer to my external HDD. If I didn't the pc would lock up / reboot.
2: I reinstalled Nvidia software and drivers, this stopped the 30-60 Sec crash. The PC operated fairly normal after this except the random 41 and if I right clicked any file explorer would crash/restart.
3: I decided to just reinstall windows (with the keep personal files option). This corrected the explorer issue and now I am left with the 41.
4: I reseated all components except the cpu and cleaned the PC. Temps are within normal ranges.

PC Specs:
3060 Ti
I7 11700K
32 GB 3600
AIO Cooler
Few NVME Drives

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
That Event Viewer entry simply means that the computer shutdown unexpectedly and nothing more so it doesn't help us with anything.

Head over to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> "Advanced" tab -> Startup & Recovery Settings -> untick the "Automatically restart" option.

If your problem is caused by a Windows/software/driver issue then instead of restarting there should be a message on the screen. If there is then let us know what it says. You'll need to restart your PC manually.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
That Event Viewer entry simply means that the computer shutdown unexpectedly and nothing more so it doesn't help us with anything.

Head over to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> "Advanced" tab -> Startup & Recovery Settings -> untick the "Automatically restart" option.

If your problem is caused by a Windows/software/driver issue then instead of restarting there should be a message on the screen. If there is then let us know what it says. You'll need to restart your PC manually.
Thanks for this, I have made the change and will report back once it decides to do it again!

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I had this problem on my old Mobo Asus P5E64 Workstation Evolution. I got the same error events. Turns out, Mobo capacitor was half broken. I mounted and I damaged a little and he was moving around.
After replacing mobo, everything was great.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014

So after doing this the pc just restarts without showing an error.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I had this problem on my old Mobo Asus P5E64 Workstation Evolution. I got the same error events. Turns out, Mobo capacitor was half broken. I mounted and I damaged a little and he was moving around.
After replacing mobo, everything was great.
It is an omen pc so I would have to look into what board to get.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
..............................................and if your PC has a reset button then it may be intermittently faulty so disconnect it from the motherboard.
So I deleted all partitions on the nvme drives, and formatted them. After installing windows and all drivers etc no restart as of yet. I won't know if it worked for about a day now. Will update just incase anyone else happens across this thread. Also thanks for all the suggestions. If this fails I will swap a 750w season PSU I have and see if that fixes it.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
The original Omen PSU isn't proprietary?
Nope, no parts that I'm aware of are, I've swapped the ram & drives. The mobo and case have a normal layout so I assume those could be swapped. all coolers / fans / psu are made by cooler master. No plugs are proprietary. This one is a cooler master 800w gold.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Nope, no parts that I'm aware of are, I've swapped the ram & drives. The mobo and case have a normal layout so I assume those could be swapped. all coolers / fans / psu are made by cooler master. No plugs are proprietary. This one is a cooler master 800w gold.
The ram is hyperX & drives are wd black nvmes. So I think everything except the gpu / case are made by other brands. All I can tell is that the gpu cooler is made by cooler master but it just says geforce on the shroud.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I'm surprised that fixed it but I'm happy for you. Thanks for the feedback!
Me as well, I would like to understand what was the actual cause behind this. I'm assuming that the update corrupted a system file that persisted past the original reset I did with the keep personal file options. Which was why me deleting all partitions / formatting the drives did the fix. I don't completely understand the process that option follows.

jdog149

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Me as well, I would like to understand what was the actual cause behind this. I'm assuming that the update corrupted a system file that persisted past the original reset I did with the keep personal file options. Which was why me deleting all partitions / formatting the drives did the fix. I don't completely understand the process that option follows.
Also sfc scan did not detect anything, so I'm at a loss.