Component Picking with a Budget and High Aspirations

PR1ME-T4RGET

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Hello everyone,

This will be my first ever PC build and I am looking for advice from people who will almost definitely have more knowledge than myself. Ill list the components down below and then give a bit more of a description afterwards. Ill then have a footnote at the bottom with a few more of my thoughts. Thanks for any help in advance!

Updated on 03/05/2017 at 13:54 (UTC+00:00)

Tower Budget £400-£500 ($520-$650) excl. GPU

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz (£170)
    CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire Cooler (Stock)
    Motherboard - MSI B350 Tomahawk ATX (£100)
    Memory - Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 (£48)
    Storage - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD (£60)
    Storage (OS) - Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" SSD (£48)
    Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (£138)
    Case - Unknown
    Power Supply - Unknown
    Optical Drive - Unknown
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz ([strike]AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core[/strike])
Considering some suggestions on this thread I have decided to go with AMDs new processors. Although this is a budget build I decided to push it to the 1500X as gain substantial processing power for £20 which would otherwise have spent of better cooling in order to OC the 1400. I'll be using the PC for university work as an engineering student so I'm often running a lot of programs at once and apparently this CPU is optimised for multi-threading.

CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire Cooler (Stock) ([strike]AMD Wraith Cooler[/strike])
I know this cooler will not be sufficient if I plan to OC the CPU further but since its supplied I thought I would use it to get everything up and running. Is it okay to swap the cooler after the build or does residue thermal paste cause issues? Any cooler recommendations would be greatly welcomed.

Motherboard - MSI B350 Tomahawk ATX ([strike]Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0[/strike])
Chose this because of its the same MB that Tom's Hardware uses in the official review of the Ryzen 5 1400. I prefer to stick with an ATX board as I want the space inside the case and want to avoid airflow, cable management and cooling issues which I hear many people have on their first build.

Memory - Crusial (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 ([strike]Corsair Vengeance LP (2 x 4GB[/strike]))
The MB supports upto 32GB and has 4 DDR4 slots. Took the advice to go with a single stick of 8GB. If I want to expand in the future is it okay just to add another identical stick into the 3rd slot on the MB?

Storage - SSD & HDD
Self explanatory, want those rapid boot times and need to leave room for OS bloat and maybe some software I use a lot. Reduced the OS SSD to save some cash.

Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
I have read the 4GB is the minimum you want from your GPU these days. I'm looking at 1080p, nothing higher. I would like 6GB but my GPU budget is really only £150 ($200). The GPU budget is separate to the rest of the build because it can add so much but it all depends on quality you want at the end.

Hopefully you can try and see what I am trying to achieve. I'm not building a gaming monster, but trying to get experience in building a PC whilst creating a tower that I can use for work and dabble with the PC master race (bring on the steam sales). Look forward to hearing any of your answers or criticisms.

Cheers, PT.

Solution
If this is your parts list, you can build a much better system at that price point. Your Current List $622.22

If you bump up to this build, you get a newer processor, a better cooler, and DDR4. List here: Suggested Parts List

Granted, the Ryzen 5 1600 is only six cores, however it's 6 cores with 12 threads, meaning it can handle more than the 8 core 8350.

Also granted, the SSD in the suggested parts list is only 120GB, but if you forward things like My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and the other basic Windows folders to the 2TB HDD, bloat won't be an issue. Good news is that the suggested parts list only comes in at $16 more than your current list, and has newer stuff with better support.

WrektGlitch

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
If this is your parts list, you can build a much better system at that price point. Your Current List $622.22

If you bump up to this build, you get a newer processor, a better cooler, and DDR4. List here: Suggested Parts List

Granted, the Ryzen 5 1600 is only six cores, however it's 6 cores with 12 threads, meaning it can handle more than the 8 core 8350.

Also granted, the SSD in the suggested parts list is only 120GB, but if you forward things like My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and the other basic Windows folders to the 2TB HDD, bloat won't be an issue. Good news is that the suggested parts list only comes in at $16 more than your current list, and has newer stuff with better support.

Solution

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
This CPU will vastly outperform the 8350 in all areas. Newer ram with upgradability. Similar performing SSD - better value. Overall comes out cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£71.15 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£47.43 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£83.97 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card (£137.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £550.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-03 12:32 BST+0100

Does your budget include the case and power supply?

PR1ME-T4RGET

Prominent
May 3, 2017

Looked at the parts list and check some comparisons and other threads. I've updated my parts list above and some of my comments.

Also I've changed the budget above to specify that its for all parts excl. the GPU. This is because you can run current AAA on a GPU that cost £100 but you'll have a low frame count and have to cut back on the graphics or you could spend £300 and be pushing some serious frames but that totally changes the cost of the build.

PR1ME-T4RGET

Prominent
May 3, 2017

Hi, I've adjusted my parts list and dropped the SSD size like you suggested. I've gone for the 1500X to save a bit of money which could then go on the GPU. I feel like the 1500X is more than capable of what I require for now.

WrektGlitch

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

That's definitely a better build. I'd swap the RAM back to the Corsair. Just my personal opinion. I know that Corsair is reputable, and offers great customer service if needed.