[SOLVED] Compress to save disk space on by default

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello,

Recently I changed CPU and motherboard so I decided to reset my PC through windows, and after that I noticed every file I downloaded had ''compress to save disk space'' on by default, which is something i dont like and usually dont use. Also I don't like anything making changing on my Windows without asking me, thats one of he reasons i didnt get prebuilt. Does someone maybe know why this is, and how I can fix it? (maybe a BIOS setting?) and yes I will reinstall windows again because this throws me off and there may be even more changes im unaware of

Solution

its likely a result of resetting instead of clean installing when you got a new CPU & motherboard. Resets not the most reliable at best of times, so combine that with all new hardware and you can get weird things like this happen. what type of reset was it? keep settings and files? or a full reset? In theory windows should have got all new drivers but it may not have, and the compression thing is a result of windows thinking its on different hardware.

Before you clean install, can you go to windows/update & security/activation... is PC...
Open file explorer,
select your drive,
choose properties,
in general tab uncheck "Compress this drive to save disk space".

ximg_57a771814f04b.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.Hhc3eafe6k.png

Colif

Win 11 Master

its likely a result of resetting instead of clean installing when you got a new CPU & motherboard. Resets not the most reliable at best of times, so combine that with all new hardware and you can get weird things like this happen. what type of reset was it? keep settings and files? or a full reset? In theory windows should have got all new drivers but it may not have, and the compression thing is a result of windows thinking its on different hardware.

Before you clean install, can you go to windows/update & security/activation... is PC currently activated? As to Microsoft, swapping CPU/Motherboard = a new PC and without certain things done before hand, it may deactivate your install and only real way to fix it is contact Microsoft. Have a look here for steps to take before/after hardware change - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

By far the most fulfilling answer, thankfully I have a USB stick that can store Windows 10, I'll try installing from there and cleaning the drives aswell, thanks