[SOLVED] Compress video to fit on 1.44 MB floppy disk

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I discovered a project from February where I was trying to fit a video onto a 1.44 MB 3.5" floppy disk.
According to the note in the folder, I was compressing the first PewDiePie video I ever watched to fit it onto a floppy disk for LWIAY.
So far I have gotten it to 4.8 MB as an MP4 file.
Any advice/ideas?
Constraints:
Must retain original aspect ratio (16x9)
Must contain both audio and video
Must still have color (this can be omitted if this will make it fit, but otherwise no B&W)
Must be the same length, so no removing video
Must not be put into an archive
Must not be put on 2.88 MB floppy disks.

Once this is done, the second part begins.

EDIT:
Forgot to say which video.
The Cool Cat Cringe Tuesdays video.
Don't ask, because I don't know.

Solution
The actual formatted capacity of a standard "1.44MB" diskette is neither 1.44MB nor 1.44MiB. It's actually a misnomer.

80 tracks per side x 18 sectors per track x 2 sides x 512 bytes per sector = 1440 x 1024 bytes.

That's 1440 KiB or 1.47MB or 1.41MiB.

A standard FAT12 volume has two FATs, but I suppose one could reduce this to a single FAT with an appropriate tool.
As said before, it has been too long since I formatted one. But fat8 was the preferable format if memory serves (to conserve size). I don't know if Win10 would even read a disk formatted in FAT8 and I am pretty sure it won't format to it. I don't remember fat12, I thought it jumped to straight to fat16 as drives started getting bigger. Get out your working...

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
As said before, it has been too long since I formatted one. But fat8 was the preferable format if memory serves (to conserve size). I don't know if Win10 would even read a disk formatted in FAT8 and I am pretty sure it won't format to it. I don't remember fat12, I thought it jumped to straight to fat16 as drives started getting bigger. Get out your working copies of MSDOS and lets have a throwback hardware party.... Oh yea, config.sys, autoexec.bat, manual bootloader drivers and jumper settings made us nerds relevant because no one else could get anything to run. Or lets not, lol.
I do have a copy of MS-DOS 6.21 Plus Enhanced Tools.
Disks 1 and 3 might be bad though.

No idea if Windows 10 supports FAT12 or whatever my disks are formatted to - they are second hand (like all of my legacy tech is) and had stuff on them.
Once I have my 98 PC back from a science project I will check.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I never saw a FAT8 file system. All the 360KB, 1.2MB, 720KB and 1.44MB floppy diskettes I saw were formatted as FAT12.

Windows 9x formats them as FAT12.

MSWIN4.1 (Windows 98 Floppy Disk Boot Record :
https://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/WIN98FDB.htm
It has been far too long on a media format that I really hated for it's lack of capacity, speed and reliability. On review you are right on the FAT12 on floppy. We honestly had moved to zip drives (before usb flash drives took over) and tape (for backups) long before the standard was dead for reliability and capacity in a work environment. I built a ton of computers with $20 3.5 floppies in them that the floppy was never used but had to be there defacto. Honestly the 3.5 floppy is one tech piece that I really don't miss. I spent far to many of the best years of my life running scandisk looking for a bad sector when someone mishandled (or did everything right) on one of those plastic covered nightmares. At least with 5.25 people recognized how fragile they were and babied them, not that they were any better.