CompUSA takes Another Shot at Retail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
if they come here chances are that is the only store I will go to for pc stuff (along with anything else they sell lol)...since it will all be the same price that is :)

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Bestbuy has nothing to worry about, they are light ages ahead of anything tiger direct can
whip up. I can't wait though, because within a year i'll have a massive electronics garage
sale to go to.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1. Hiring employees that actually know something and not the MacDonalds rejects
2. Keep ALL the prices competitive to NewEgg
3. Sell Apple products and get an Apple "Genious" in there

Plain and simple, if the economics don't permit this, you WILL fail.

Rob.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
lets just hope the people who work there are skilled... the last time i was there, i was told by a CompUSA employee that you couldn't use the same router for a Mac and a PC. I instantly left and never went back. Newegg became my sanctuary with their fast shipping and SUPERIOR customer support.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]masop[/nom]What about Micro Center; ? They are a national chain and very competitive with Best Buy and any other IT/Computer retailer. Their prices rival internet stores in many cases.-- MaSoP[/citation]

I've never even heard of them, and I've lived quite a few places. Best Buy and Walmart are the ones that are easily recognizable, and have multiple locations in each state (if not multiple in quite a few cities).

G

Where I live I shop between 3 different stores. CompUSA, Frys Electronics and MicroCenter. Not one can be singled out having the lowest prices but shopping from all of them will guarantee me the lowest price when its all done and over with.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
CompUSA should've operate more like Microcenter instead of trying to be a half-assed Best Buy. Microcenter is still standing and everytime I go there, it's always packed. Why? They actually have some prices that are competitive with Internet pricing. OEMs as well as Retail. Businesses should realize that moving high VOLUME of goods with a smaller profit margin is better than placing a high sticker price on something - which ultimately drive away customers.

For example I dont care how dumb the employees are at Best Buy as long as I can buy something for cheaper than the other store.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
A lot of the deals on TigerDirect have mail in rebates. Do the CompUSA stores have the same type of deals or do you just have the same prices without the rebates?

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
masop :

What about Micro Center; ? They are a national chain and very competitive with Best Buy and any other IT/Computer retailer. Their prices rival internet stores in many cases.-- MaSoP

tindytim:

I've never even heard of them, and I've lived quite a few places. Best Buy and Walmart are the ones that are easily recognizable, and have multiple locations in each state (if not multiple in quite a few cities).

Micro Center has locations in CA, CO, GA, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX and VA. Not exactly as large as Best Buy or Walmart by any means, but definitely nationwide and often has better deals for computer parts. Their selection is much wider than Best Buy also. If you are located in any of those states, check out their web site at www.microcenter.com and see if you have a location near you. Just my 2 cents. :)

-- MaSoP

[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Why not change the name to the TigerDirect Store, cash in on some brand regonition?[/citation]

Yes! I would change the name to TigerDirect too!
To me it's always been like this:
CompUSA - High Priced, Brick and Mortar stores
TigerDirect - Great Prices, Online only
Because I associate TigerDirect to having great prices I think it would be best for them to call the stores TigerDirect.

[citation][nom]masop[/nom]What about Micro Center; ? They are a national chain and very competitive with Best Buy and any other IT/Computer retailer. Their prices rival internet stores in many cases.-- MaSoP[/citation]

They are a national chain but they have a limited number of stores and depending on what you buy sometimes their prices are exessively high. I wouldn't buy a processor from them but they have good deals on hard drives.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I've never even heard of them, and I've lived quite a few places. Best Buy and Walmart are the ones that are easily recognizable, and have multiple locations in each state (if not multiple in quite a few cities).[/citation]
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I've never even heard of them, and I've lived quite a few places. Best Buy and Walmart are the ones that are easily recognizable, and have multiple locations in each state (if not multiple in quite a few cities).[/citation]

Microcenter doesn't have many stores overall. Their "National" stuatus is a bit dubious. I don't think Best Buy cares much about them.
Do they have as many stores nationwide as does Fry's just within CA?

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
If they are smart they will stay away from the TigerDirect name since it is synonimous in the industry with horriffic customer service, inflated prices and outrageous shipping and ship times.

The only time I shopped at CompUSA anyway was when I needed a part ASAP and it was the weekend and even then it had to be really desperate...nothing but idiots and geeksquad rejects worked at the one in SLC, UT.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Mach5Motorsport[/nom]Microcenter doesn't have many stores overall. Their "National" stuatus is a bit dubious. I don't think Best Buy cares much about them.Do they have as many stores nationwide as does Fry's just within CA?[/citation]

That was my point. Fry's isn't even national, and they're much more well known and they only have 34 locations.

G

Right on with the Micro Center, they will beat anyone in processor prices. Go ahead check an see what everyone has the i7 920 going for then check micro centers website, ive been in that store quite often, ive asked why there arent more around they simply say they would not like to compete with themselves, there more of a destination store. And in this economy maybe not expanding to quickly would be the smart thing to do. Not to mention the staff, its like they actually do training to keep up. But I will always double check online prices to make sure deals are good.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ggmoney[/nom]And in this economy maybe not expanding to quickly would be the smart thing to do.[/citation]
Yeah, because spending money which generate construction jobs, with the end result being a location which encourages people to spend money, and needs to be staffed with new jobs, is completely retarded.

3pointer

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
dood tindytim when did owning a business turn from making a profit to correcting the economy, thats like saying there should be frys in every state there should be a mcdonalds on every corner. Rapidly opening stores didnt seem to work out well for circuit city or comp usa to name a few. What happens if the area you open your store in dosent thrive? Especially in this day in age when sales are uncertain. Opening new stores an having them fail means disaster for the company if not done correctly. If it were as easy as you say it would be done non stop by everone. Micro Center seems to have a great plan in place as does wal mart and best buy but there different stores. You can walk into wal mart eat subway by a computer get some clothes, go to best buy get your vacum stop by and check out there kitchen area and leave. Micro is based as a computer store first everything else second. The home computer is a luxury not a necessity for some people.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
There were several here in Minnesota that were turned into "Staples" office supply stores when they closed. The one right by my house, however is still sitting there vacant just waiting for a CompUSA v2.0 to re-open...

I don't expect them to be "price competetive with NewEgg" as someone had mentioned and I don't think that's realistic for a REAL store as opposed to a virtual store. Keep the prices realistic and don't hire the bozos from the nearby Circuit City that just closed and they'll probably do okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.