[SOLVED] Computer beeps /help needed please/

Jan 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

On startup on my computer makes an audible beep, then there is a pause, then 3 more beeps in quick succession. Another pause follows this and then 2 beeps come afterwards, again in quick succession.

I've tried removing my RAM and Graphics card

Thank you very much!
Sam

(Spec: in case this is of any use)
8GB RAM, (4x2GB DIMM2 sticks)
i5 processor (can't be more specific
Seagate 500GB hard drive
SMSC bios chip

A friend has suggested getting a new motherboard? Does this sound like a good idea?

Solution

There should be a sticker or print on the motherboard somewhere look for anything more then 5 digits then google it and see if it is a model number. If you have spare parts try some troubleshooting with different parts, take out all but one RAM stick, graphics card and everything not vital and see if it works and such. If you can find the manual for any dell motherboard...

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
The beeps are basically a error code you need to cross reference it with your motherboards manual to find out exactly what the error is. Or contact the motherboard manufacturer they could also tell you what it means. Its not necessarily a motherboard problem as the error codes can warn you about anything from a dead cpu to a keyboard not being plugged in

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply,

I think you've ably summed up the frustrating nature of this problem. It could be a wide range of problems.

I bought this computer a while back refurbished, so unfortunately do not have a manual. Furthermore, upon inspection of the motherboard I can only conclude that it is a Dell, but cannot work out the model.

Thanks for your help,
Sam

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018

There should be a sticker or print on the motherboard somewhere look for anything more then 5 digits then google it and see if it is a model number. If you have spare parts try some troubleshooting with different parts, take out all but one RAM stick, graphics card and everything not vital and see if it works and such. If you can find the manual for any dell motherboard its likely they use the same code for all of them.

Solution