Question Computer Black Screens and pc stays on

Feb 20, 2022
Hello.

I am having such a rough time with diagnosing my problem.

My pc started this while gaming, and it would be hit or miss most of the time. Now it’s starting to affect me getting into windows completely.

I haven’t changed to a new psu, because I’m still weary on what is wrong.

My pc will shut my monitors off and not allow me to turn them back on and see what is going on with the system. It will continue running(I heard my friends on discord the whole time the system ran before it restarted on it’s own.) until it eventually restarts like nothing happened.

I replaced my NVME SSD with a fresh install of windows, because it started crashing on opening windows. It worked great yesterday like that, I woke up this morning. Immediately crashes when I boot up a game. I reset my bios to default, and it still does this. As I am writing this it crashed and I’m waiting on it to restart.

I haven’t been able to play pc games in almost 2 weeks and that’s my only interaction I have with close friends of mine.

build:
CPU: i7-9600k
GPU: RTX 3070 ASUS Rog Strix white OC edition
PSU: EVGA 750w gold
MOBO: Asrock Phantom Gaming 4
HDD: WD Black 2tb, Hitachi 500gb
SSD: Samsung NVME M.2 970 Evo plus

Feb 20, 2022
What you are describing has happened over a sagging video card. Works, then goes dark. Guessing the same could happen from a card that is not fully seated.

Even if you didn't pull the 3070 to do the M.2, re-seat it by sliding it straight in. Don't let it kick to an angle while pushing on it and don't rock it. Secure it and the cable(s), and make sure the card is not sagging.

Reactions: iiilucaii
Feb 20, 2022
What you are describing has happened over a sagging video card. Works, then goes dark. Guessing the same could happen from a card that is not fully seated.

Even if you didn't pull the 3070 to do the M.2, re-seat it by sliding it straight in. Don't let it kick to an angle while pushing on it and don't rock it. Secure it and the cable(s), and make sure the card is not sagging.
Would a vertical mount help as well? I talked to ASUS about it, and going to send it in for repairs in case. Any recommendations on the best for my gpu?

Feb 20, 2022
Vertical mounting is about cooling and or showing off a card. They can be easier to hold up if both the bracket and the rear of the case are sturdy but it only takes one of those to not hold the weight. Standard mounting with a support bracket puts less stress on the card than simply vertical mounting without support. Support mounts don't need to be fancy especially if you are not moving the case around. I have even seen something as simple as a scrap piece of PETG cut to the right length hold a card flat as can be.

Reactions: iiilucaii
Feb 20, 2022
Vertical mounting is about cooling and or showing off a card. They can be easier to hold up if both the bracket and the rear of the case are sturdy but it only takes one of those to not hold the weight. Standard mounting with a support bracket puts less stress on the card than simply vertical mounting without support. Support mounts don't need to be fancy especially if you are not moving the case around. I have even seen something as simple as a scrap piece of PETG cut to the right length hold a card flat as can be.
Made a make shift support. Booted windows, immediately crashed when using the GPU instead of on board graphics with my cpu

Feb 20, 2022
Was the card sagging to begin with? Did you re-seat the card first? Did you use something that is non-conductive for your makeshift support? Did you raise it too much-- including when you put the support under it --or just enough to make it perfectly level?

Feb 20, 2022
Was the card sagging to begin with? Did you re-seat the card first? Did you use something that is non-conductive for your makeshift support? Did you raise it too much-- including when you put the support under it --or just enough to make it perfectly level?
It was sagging a little bit, it might a little higher than normal. Now I’m having issues with not being able to use both of my monitors.

I had it running, and it crashed while updating drivers.