Question Computer bluescreens at random times

cloudpersonn

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Hey,

Recently I've been encountering lots of bluescreens, to the point where I tried resetting my PC. This didn't work. I eventually fixed it (or at least I thought I did) by updating the BIOS, until I started bluescreening again, however a lot less regularly. The bluescreens also seem to be fairly random - previously it was if I was playing a game or had lots of firefox tabs open, but now it's seemingly completely at random. The types of bluescreens I have been getting have changed as well - originally it was stuff like MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, however now I'm getting stuff like SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_UNHANDLED and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Sadly I don't have all of the minidump files as windows seems to have cleaned them out, however I have a minidump file from the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen. It can be found here.

I've tried many things to fix these, such as:
Resetting my windows entirely
Scanning my system files
Turning on driver verifier
Running chkdsk /f and /r
Running the Windows memory diagnostic
Updating my graphics card drivers
Updating my BIOS (as I have stated previously this has heavily reduced the amount of bluescreens I have been getting, however hasn't fixed it entirely)
Dusting off my hardware
and, finally, making sure the RAM is seated properly

If someone could help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated
My PC specs are:
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU: EVGA Superclocked GTX 1070
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (8gb x 2) 2666MhZ DDR4
PSU: Not sure, doesn't exactly state the exact type - it's something from FSP group LTD though?

Last edited:

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
this sounds like a gpu driver issue, or maybe an unstable gpu overclock, i would remove any overclock you have (both cpu and gpu) and then also install the latest gpu drivers, if you already have the latest, uninstall them and reinstall them it may also be a ram issue, but if your ram is from a decent brand it will have life time warranty so go claim an rma on the ram if the above didnt work\

ram will just break on it own most of the time and it is stupid, something happens. and then boop, either it just wont post or the ram is super unstable

EDIT; just read that you have vengeance ram. that will most certainly have life time warrenty you can get an rma on that

cloudpersonn

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
this sounds like a gpu driver issue, or maybe an unstable gpu overclock, i would remove any overclock you have (both cpu and gpu) and then also install the latest gpu drivers, if you already have the latest, uninstall them and reinstall them it may also be a ram issue, but if your ram is from a decent brand it will have life time warranty so go claim an rma on the ram if the above didnt work\

ram will just break on it own most of the time and it is stupid, something happens. and then boop, either it just wont post or the ram is super unstable

EDIT; just read that you have vengeance ram. that will most certainly have life time warrenty you can get an rma on that
thanks for the response. I've already tried doing a fresh reinstall of my GPU drivers, and then did that a second time when I reset windows. Neither attempt helped. I haven't manually set an overclock or anything similar - however it seems my mobo's BIOS automatically sets a CPU and GPU overclock, so.. I'm not sure if I should undo it or not.

I talked to a friend whom works in IT and they believe it's a RAM problem.
How would I tell what the exact issue is? I'm thinking of trying out memtest86, but I'm not sure to be honest.

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
ok, to help with description im going to call one of you ram sticks STICK A and the other one STICK B

take stick b out of the pc and run the pc with just stick A in side. if the pc doesnt post or blue screens again take stick b back into the pc and take stick a out and try again.

this will determine which ram stick is faulty if any at all.

cloudpersonn

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
sorry for the late reply
I've decided to opt for something a bit easier which is running memtest86. It picked up 1318 errors on the first pass alone. (I'm assuming that's a lot?)
I think it's something to do with the sticks themselves and not the motherboard's RAM seats.
Not sure what to do next, though. Are the errors normal? If not, should I claim warranty?

cloudpersonn

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Anyone got any ideas? need to get this sorted out so I can either claim warranty or try and figure out what's actually wrong with my PC, if it's not the RAM

forgot to mention as well, the most errors I got out of all of the 13 tests was on test 7, where I got 862.