Computer boot loops but fails to stay on when it finally does for more than a minute.

Nov 5, 2018
Yesterday I was using my computer and it suddenly said shutting down. I tried to reboot, but it would make the startup noise then shutdown, a few seconds later try again to reboot itself, in a loop that would 9/10 fail. When it did catch, it would run for a minute or if I left it for a long time max 30 minutes then say shutting down. I left the computer off for a night unplugged, and it repeated the same issue. I tried reseeding RAM, changing the Power Supply, unplugging my Hard Drive, unplugging the Video Card, and even trying to boot Linux from a USB! None of this would let it run, even Linux when it did boot for a minute or two would say this PC is shutting down. I have no idea what causes this issue, but what I found weird was that even after leaving it for a whole day without usage it would fail to boot, so I doubt it means that its overheating, any ideas on how to repair it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Nov 5, 2018

Sure :D
An easier to view site.....
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03927014

SKU
Mfr Part#
H6U92AAR#ABL
UPC
General Information
Color
Black/Silver
Series
Envy
Model Number
H6U92AAR#ABL
Lifestyle
Entertainment
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 8
Case & Motherboard
Case Orientation
Vertical
Processor
CPU Summary
Intel Core i7 4770 (3.4GHz)
CPU Core
Quad-Core
CPU Type
Core i7
CPU Speed
4770 (3.4GHz)
Turbo Boost Speed
Up to 3.9GHz
Smart Cache
8MB
CPU Brand
Intel
Front Side Bus
DMI2 5GT/s
CPU Socket
LGA 1150
CPUs Installed
CPUs Supported
CPU Main Features
Virtualization Technology
Hyper-Threading Technology
Trusted Execution Technology
Idle States
Execute Disable Bit
Thermal Monitoring Technologies
Intel 64
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology
AES New Instructions
Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
Intel vPro Technology
Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)
Intel Identity Protection Technology
Intel Secure Key
Intel TSX-NI
Memory
Total Memory
12GB
Memory Speed
DDR3-1600
Memory Configuration
1 x 8GB, 1 x 4GB
Memory Slots (Total)
Memory Slots (Available)
Form Factor
240-pin DIMM
Maximum Memory Supported
32GB
Hard Drive
HD Interface
SATA
HD Capacity
2TB
HD RPM
7,200 RPM
HD Configuration
1 x 2TB
Solid State Drive
SSD Cache Capacity
16GB
Multimedia Drives
Optical Drives Included
Optical Drive
SuperMulti DVDRW
Optical Drive Specs
SuperMulti DVD Burner - Write: 16x max DVDR, 8x max DVDR DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 5x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 24x max CD-RW; Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Display
Display Type
Display Not Included
Video
GPU Type
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
Video Memory
Up to 4059MB
Video Connectors
1 x DVI-I
1 x DVI-D
Audio
Audio System
Beats Audio
Communications
LAN
Gigabit LAN
LAN Data Rate Speed
10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN
Wireless LAN
Wireless Technology
802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
802.11n
802.11ac
Card Reader
Memory Card Reader
15-in-1 Media Card Reader
Supported Flash Media
CompactFlash I
CompactFlash II
MicroDrive
Secure Digital
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick PRO
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick PRO Duo
Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo
SDHC
SDXC
Memory Stick Select
Memory Stick MagicGate
Memory Stick MagicGate Duo
Front/Top Panel Ports
USB 2.0
4 x USB 2.0 (Type-A)
Back Panel Ports
USB 2.0
2 x USB 2.0 (Type-A)
USB 3.1
4 x USB 3.1 (Gen 1 Type-A)
Audio
Expansion Bays
External 5.25" Bays (Available)
External 5.25" Bays (Total)
Internal 3.5" Bays (Total)
Internal 3.5" Bays (Available)
Expansion Slots
PCIe x16 Slots (Total)
PCIe x16 Slots (Available)
PCIe x1 Slots (Total)
PCIe x1 Slots (Available)
Mini PCIe Slots (Total)
Mini PCIe Slots (Available)
Power
Power Supply
460 Watt

Ah OK you have a prebuilt HP ENVY 700-149 Desktop PC.

If still under Warranty then contact place of purchase or HP support.
For Warranty check go here: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/checkwarranty
If out of Warranty then first check your RAM either in another system or try with another kit.
You may have a failing DIMM module which can be tested using Memtest86 by booting from a USB stick.

It may be an overheat issue with that warning prior to shutdown.
When was the last time you dusted out your system.?
Can you check in Bios your Temperatures.?

Check the above first and report back.

Nov 5, 2018

I will now try to get it running long enough to do this Memtest86 you mentioned prior along with the BIOS temps, the problem is its rather unstable unless I leave it for a LONG time, but Il attempt it now. I dusted it the night this problem happened, but the heatsink still has little bits of dust, should I try to remove the fan from that and try to REALLY get it all out?

I really appreciate the help btw!

Nov 5, 2018
Well after almost 30 failed boots it decided to run a full 3 hours and is still running! The 86 program showed zero errors after 3 attempts at the scan, and the temps throughout varied from 32 in the beginning to roughly 64 at max and usually hovered at 55. I was doing some research and do you think it could be caused by a lack of thermal paste? My son uses it to play his video games and I was thinking perhaps it needs changing, total guess excuse me if it sounds ridiculous! :p

NO definitely not rediculous (3years for TIM is a good run) and when you remove the fan and heatsink give it a good clean both fan blades and between any fins. Re-applying the thermal paste is a must and I use Arctic Silver 5. All you need is a small pea size blob applied to the center of the CPU. Do not over tighten the hold down brackets, just finger tight.
If the temps you listed are at idle then it's too hot. Ideal temps are 10-15C above room temp at idle and 60-65C under load.
Zero errors after three runs with Memtest86 is good so that eliminates a RAM issue.

Nov 5, 2018

Thanks for responding, but I already changed the power supply it did nothing sadly.

Nov 5, 2018

Well after applying the paste, and trying to boot my PC in a room that's 15 degrees. It still does the same bloody thing. When I had it on yesterday it showed no hardware issues, idled at 25C and seemed fine, now it wont boot once again. I took a little clip of the issue I hope that can help.

http://tinypic.com/r/261cllz/9

Unfortunately I have not been able to acquire a manual for your MB unless you can link me to a site for it.
You may have to clear your CMOS and tweak your Bios for DRAM timings and Voltage.
Can you get into Bios.? Normally done by spamming the DEL button during Post cycle.

Nov 5, 2018

Same here, I couldnt seem to find one either, and Im trying to get into BIOS right now, its just a matter of trying to boot it ten million times hoping it will catch....