Computer boot problem please help!

asimaish1114

Commendable
Apr 18, 2018
I bought my computer almost about a year ago. The computer ran clichè, I even upgraded its graphic card about 3-4 months ago, nothing was wrong. Except for the past month. The computer, if shut down, won’t turn on, well it would, but nothing would come up, no boot screen, no hp logo, nothing. All that’d happen is about 2 minutes after turning it on, the fan would go very fast, making loud sound. Nothing else would happen. What I did, is I left it on in that situation for 15-30 minutes, and force restarted it (holding power button). Then it would boot up properly and work completely fine. About a couple days ago though, the light went out in my house for more than 24 hours straight. I’d always leave the computer on overnight even, because If turned off, it wouldn’t get back on without the procedure mentioned above. When the light went out and my UPS powered off. The computer, ofcourse shut down in a shock. Since then, it boots up just like mentioned above, nothing else but a loud fan. Leaving it there for hours and force rebooting doesn’t fix the problem. I request all of you to help me fix the problem.

Specs
The case and everything inside of an HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF with an upgraded graphic card (AMD Radeon RX 550)

P.S please also note that I have a lot of knowledge about computers, but never done a lot of practical work, I can open up the case, clean the ram and check a few switches, but that’s all.

Solution
First step is attempt to get the computer to POST and get into bios. Unplug all peripherals, disconnect all drives, pull all ram except for one dimm (check the manual for which slot should have a dimm in it when only running one dimm) and see if it will let you into bios. Also check the power supply with a tester, or multimeter.

t53186

Distinguished
First step is attempt to get the computer to POST and get into bios. Unplug all peripherals, disconnect all drives, pull all ram except for one dimm (check the manual for which slot should have a dimm in it when only running one dimm) and see if it will let you into bios. Also check the power supply with a tester, or multimeter.

Solution

asimaish1114

Commendable
Apr 18, 2018

What you mean by disconnecting the drives is, the hard drives?

And, what to do if it DOES let me into BIOS?

t53186

Distinguished
Yes, the hard drives, SSD, any storage devices. The suggestion was to only have what is referred to as minimum configuration on your motherboard to see if the machine will POST and bring up BIOS. If that works it would indicate that the CPU, Power supply, and one dimm are good. The you start adding more components to the MB until it fails to POST and display bios. If that happens you know which component is causing the no boot problem. Those step in troubleshooting are referred to as changing the symptom. If it DOES NOT POST and display bios then you know the cause is either the power supply, MB, CPU, or memory

asimaish1114

Commendable
Apr 18, 2018
THIS WORKED! (all I did different was I started removing them one by one and checking, not take all off and put them back one by one. Lucky me, the first ram stick I took out was faulty :D) THANK YOU SO MUCH @t53186