Question Computer Booting and Shutting Down Randomly

Oct 16, 2024
Hi, this has happened to me for a while now but for the last couple days it's been worse. My computer has been randomly booting and shutting down on me, booting up at 3am, 10pm, etc etc. All random times. Then during the day while I'm using it for work it's just shutting down on me.

When the system shuts down it goes to the Windows "Shutting Down" screen, and then powers off, and when I reboot it, it takes me to the Asus screen then immediately to BIOS.

Until recently it was very manageable and I was able to just turn the power switch on the PSU off when I didn't want to use it but the shutting down is getting in the way of being productive. I have scoured the internet in hopes of trying to find solutions but I haven't found one that worked yet. My build is a bit older (2014-2015) but it's still doing what I need it to do so I didn't want to really uphaul or get something new.

Now recently as well it's been doing a very weird cycle of booting on and powering down all very quickly one after the other.

Things I've tried so far:

• BIOS updated to most recent
  • Resetting BIOS to defaults
  • Turning off any source of "Wake on LAN" in BIOS and Device Managers
  • Resetting and replacing the CMOS Battery
  • Clearing Jumper on Motherboard
  • New RAM cards
  • New PSU
  • Disconnecting from WiFi (no ethernet connection) to see if problem was from updates
  • Removing and replacing the ASUS Q adapter from the motherboard and plugging the front I/O directly to board
  • Scanning for malware/viruses
  • Removing and Scheduled Tasks that might be shutting it down
Pretty sure this was all I have done with this so far.

At this rate I'm about to try a new motherboard but didn't want to jump to that without maybe clearing something that might seem odd with others.

The build is as follows:

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor]

**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler]

**Motherboard** | [Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [Kingston KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory]

**Storage** | [Intel 530 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate ST1000DX001 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive]

**Video Card** | [EVGA Dual FTW ACX GeForce GTX 760 4 GB Video Card]

**Case** | [Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Mid Tower Case]

**Power Supply** | [Thermaltake Smart 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply]

**Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer]

Also this is running on Windows 10

Thank you!

Oct 16, 2024
if what you tried is bronze, the result is the same, nothing changes
Sorry, I didn't specify but I tried this for new PSU and RAM:

Apevia ATX-GX650W Galaxy 650W 80+ Gold Certified Active PFC ATX Semi-Modular Gaming Power Supply

G.SKILL RipjawsX Series (Intel XMP) DDR3 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MT/s CL10-10-10-30 1.50V Desktop Computer Memory UDIMM (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)​