Question Computer boots up but no display or beeps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cloe1994

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
I have been having the weirdest problem i have ever encountered dealing with my computer.
So i have an old build i5 2400 8GB of ddr3 Ram , two hard drives a 1TB Segate and a 320gb Hitachi all running off of an OCZ CXS 500w psu and plugged in to the Asrock H61m VS motherboard.
My problems started once i sold my GTX 650ti boost Graphics Card which i had for years running in that build.
As soon as i took it off the system and gave it to it's new owner i tried to boot up off of the i5 2400 integrated graphics which worked just fine and i was able to boot normally and even watch some netflix but after 30 minutes or so the screen went blank (NOT BLACK) it was still lit up but there was nothing on the screen. i tried to move the mouse, clicking CTRL ALT DEL... nothing worked so i shut down the pc and boot it again and there i couldn't for the life of me get it to post.
So that's what i got: All the fans are spinning , hard drives are spinning and even the led's on my back chassis fan are glowing but my monitor is not turning on at all.
I can see the blue led in the lower right hand corner blinking constantly but the monitor wouldn't turn on. i tried to force turn it on by holding its tactile button for a few second then holding it again but that didn't work. My monitor is a 22 inch Samsung S20A300e it has a VGA and a DVI ports in the back.
My motherboad supports VGA only but before i sold my graphics card i was using a VGA to DVI adapter to plug in my 650ti boost and VGA to plug in my monitor which worked just fine.
What i have tried for the last couple of days:
-Resetting the ram / trying to use one Ram at the time
-Removing the CMOS battery leaving it for 5 minutes and holding the computer's power button for 30 seconds then putting the battery back in its correct place
-Changing the CMOS jumper's placement from pin 1 and 2 to 2 and 3
-Trying to use a graphics card (Gtx 1650) which i borrowed from my cousin and running it with a HDMI cable with a different samsung monitor which has an HDMI port (NO adapters)
-Trying to boot without any hard drives attached
After trying all of this nothing worked permanently, I have been able to enter the bios on a couple of occasions and i enabled the IGPU multimonitor setting and i even got into windows and was able to use the pc normally browsing the internet all using my VGA cable directly plugged to the motherboard and my sansung S20A300e VGA port.
But after i shut down my computer last night and wanted to boot it up this morning i got the same problem PC is seemingly booting up and all the fans are spînning but i got no display on my monitor, also my mouse and keyboard are not lighting up either.
All help is appreciated.
My second question is simple i was thinking about upgrading my aging rig to get a bit more performance and be able to play AAA titles comfortably. so my current rig is I5 2400 (planning to upgrade to an i7 2600K) Gtx 650ti boots (already got rid of it) 8GB DDR3 memory 240GB Kingston Now A400 1TB Segate 320gb Hitachi.
So i am really torn between a GTX 970 which i can have for a very good price or either a 1060 3gb or a 1650.

Last edited:
Getting a new graphics card doesn't explain why it doesn't work using the integrated graphics. I think it's probable you have a motherboard issue and it might be a good idea to start looking at a platform upgrade and put that graphics card money towards a new CPU, motherboard and memory rather than a graphics card unless you plan to get a graphics card anyhow for gaming or other purposes that require one. Or at least look at replacing the motherboard with one that is compatible with your current CPU.

I guess as a band aid getting a cheap graphics card is ok as a stop gap solution though. At least then you'd hopefully be able to continue using the system you have now until the motherboard or CPU decide to completely fail.