[SOLVED] Computer Boots Without Graphics Card - GTX 1080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Hello,

I have installed my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 into my motherboard and have connected it to a CIT Active 85 500W PSU. When I boot my PC and have the HDMI in the GPU, nothing appears on screen but if I connect it to the PC HDMI, the PC works as usual. There is no sign that the GPU is working whatsoever as the fans don't spin at all but the rest of the computer is functional. The GPU is connected to the PSU via a 6+2 cable.

I have 3 other overclocked GTX 1080's which all require 2 leads, 6+2 pin & 6 pin, when the PSU only has 1x 6+2 pin which would probably explain why the overclocked GPU's aren't working, right?

Yes the PSU is obviously functional as the PC does turn on.

Yes the GPU is definitely connected properly to the motherboard.

And yes the PCIE slot is functional as when I plug in a GTX 1060, it works.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,
Alyan

Solution

Then that is evidence that the problematic graphics card is indeed defective.

From your post I though you had a multi GPU system. Mining rigs are like that.
Sep 23, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 3hibajanoo3 : "How Do I enable UEFI"

Hi, I have an i3 2120 with dell MIH61-MB 10097-001 mobo. Is it compatible with UEFI. I read that some Very new gpus(RTX 20 and GTX 1080) may sometimes not work with legacy bios (which im currently running). May someone please check if this system can even run in UEFI.

Many thanks!

Dell has been UEFI since the optiplex 780 LGA775 systems. They were on the UEFI commitee. Many newer GPUs are still Legacy though. They can come either way depending on the mfg. A legacy GPU will need some settings cahnged on a UEFI computer to run. Secure Boot needs to be off, and Legacy Compatability Mode needs to be on. I would ask at Dell Community Forums for specifics. Dell Support only deals with parts Dell sold. Dell Community Forum is better for modding questions.