[SOLVED] Computer BSOD after about a week of use

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I've been having periodic BSOD ranging from from PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA , SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION , and most recently MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I initially thought it might be a ram issue so I swapped out my ram for pny xlr8 16gb ddr4 3200 ram. This seemed to work for a while but after a week I started getting BSOD again. I've RMA'd my Mobo twice and I'm currently RMAing my M.2. I'm running on an older plat drive and just received the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD. Usually after running WhoCrashed I just get the message that it might be a problem with a driver but I've updated the drivers to the latest. I use the GeForce Experience clean install to update the GPU driver and I go to the AMD for the most recent chipset drivers. I've tried flashing my MoBo with the newest firmware. The mobo, cpu, m.2, and ram are all new parts. This has been going on for about 6 months and I'm not sure where to turn next.

*edit
I don't have a spare CPU to try but I might be able to try and get someone to lend me RAM. The BSOD are intermittent.

Computer Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Mobo: MSI x570-a pro (RMA twice)
Ram: pny xlr8 16gb ddr4 3200 (replaced once)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb (working from old build and tried other graphics cards)
Hard Drive: Intel 660P M.2 (Currently in the process of RMA)
Temp HardDrive: Western Digital WD5000aakx
PSU: Thermal Take Smart 750w bronze (from old build)

Solution
Negative, nothing looks out of the ordinary.
"Could not write to memory", can be caused by:
-Defective Ram, which reminds me: Did you ever try Memtest86 on your new kit of memory?
-'Bad' 3rd party device drivers, which could be just about anything that's not Windows system drivers...
-Too many apps starting up. Check Task Manager > Startup for any unrecognizable apps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Turn off Fast Startup in Windows: Windows Search > Power. Click on Additional Power Settings, and then Choose What the Power Buttons Do.
Click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable, and uncheck Turn On Fast Startup.

You're running with XMP enabled? Restart the PC, enter bios and disable it.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Turn off Fast Startup in Windows: Windows Search > Power. Click on Additional Power Settings, and then Choose What the Power Buttons Do.
Click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable, and uncheck Turn On Fast Startup.

You're running with XMP enabled? Restart the PC, enter bios and disable it.

I'll give that a try. I don't know when the next bsod might happen again like I said its intermittent.

Any USB devices currently plugged in that you haven't mentioned? 3rd party antivirus or the like, that was installed separately from Windows?

At most there is only a controller plugged in if at all. I don't use any 3rd party antivirus the only thing that might be close to that is geforce experience but that usually doesn't cause a problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll give that a try. I don't know when the next bsod might happen again like I said its intermittent.
If by chance they stop happening with XMP off, then that means the XMP profile either needs more voltage, or timings adjusted.

At most there is only a controller plugged in if at all. I don't use any 3rd party antivirus the only thing that might be close to that is geforce experience but that usually doesn't cause a problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
After running SFC Scan it came back with no issues but shortly after all open program screens went black and when I checked windows event viewer I found this error. I've gotten similar ones to dwm.exe crashing on my M.2 that's out for RMA.

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x8e064b77
Faulting module name: D3DCOMPILER_47.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x20ec73a9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000052a55
Faulting process id: 0x4b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d62d8b713b1c53
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_47.dll
Report Id: fd8a9dae-cbec-4ada-8ede-f0c1c24c7929
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Restart the PC in Safe Mode with Networking enabled. If you don't know how: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
You've already reinstalled Windows a gajillion times - that by itself, tends to take care of many software and driver related problems by itself - for the C drive only, at least.
You've updated the mobo drivers - chipset, sata, lan, etc... good practice.
You've even updated the mobo bios.
You've done the SFC scan... nothing.

At this point, I'm not convinced it's not hardware anymore, so I need to backtrack - see if you can trigger the crash in Safe Mode.
I know you said the crashes are intermittent - this will require some patience, but should a crash still happen to the PC in this state, then the cause is hardware, and most likely one you haven't changed out yet.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Restart the PC in Safe Mode with Networking enabled. If you don't know how: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
You've already reinstalled Windows a gajillion times - that by itself, tends to take care of many software and driver related problems by itself - for the C drive only, at least.
You've updated the mobo drivers - chipset, sata, lan, etc... good practice.
You've even updated the mobo bios.
You've done the SFC scan... nothing.

At this point, I'm not convinced it's not hardware anymore, so I need to backtrack - see if you can trigger the crash in Safe Mode.
I know you said the crashes are intermittent - this will require some patience, but should a crash still happen to the PC in this state, then the cause is hardware, and most likely one you haven't changed out yet.

I'm getting to the point where my next step is to RMA my CPU since thats a part I don't have a spare of. I've gotten game crashes that point to problems with AMD but I wasn't sure if that was just slightly older games crashing on AMD drivers. My usual process for a new windows install is to let windows update until it's done then update GPU then update the chipset drivers.

Should I be using the AMD suggested power settings since I'm using a desktop?

Have you updated the motherboard chipset for x570 from AMD?

I had a weird crashing error playing a game, tried everything but updating the mobo chipset solves the issue.

I always use the AMD chipset drivers after a friend of mine suggested it. I initially tried to use the MSI Dragon Center software to update drivers on my first time installing everything but I read that it can cause problems and haven't touched it since.

Chipset Driver Link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Got a bsod of in Safe Mode.

edit* I messed up and posted the wrong bsod error the correct one is below and its supposed to be a registry error

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052020-25875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2390)
Bugcheck code: 0x51 (0x1, 0xFFFFC58BDEAC9000, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x267)
Error: REGISTRY_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe registry error has occurred.
This bug check indicates there is a problem related to your registry.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I was running 2 instances of chrome for ~5 hours. I then ran sfc since that has caused issues in the past and mid scan I go the bsod.

Last edited:
Despite your RAM having the name of '3200 MHz', and, seemingly being fine for operation at that clock speed, does not mean your mainboard and CPU will for sure do it...

Try testing the rig at XMP RAM clock of only 2666 MHz for a week or two..then try 2933, etc...; maybe complete stability with that brand of RAM on your board is just beyond your grasp)

(Was that RAM kit on the approved RAM compatibility list of tested RAM at 3200 MHz with your mainboard?)

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
:whistle:
Safe Mode lets you run the OS on the bare minimum drivers... the OS is corrupted. You'll need to do a complete reinstall again.

I get this towards the end of me ending up RMAing my mobo. I've been installing windows from a flash drive and I've changed flash drives and I created the installation from a perfectly working windows installation from a laptop. I use the microsoft media creation tool.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I get this towards the end of me ending up RMAing my mobo. I've been installing windows from a flash drive and I've changed flash drives and I created the installation from a perfectly working windows installation from a laptop. I use the microsoft media creation tool.
What haven't you changed so far? It's just the cpu and storage, right?

Did you ever check the health of the current drive?

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Despite your RAM having the name of '3200 MHz', and, seemingly being fine for operation at that clock speed, does not mean your mainboard and CPU will for sure do it...

Try testing the rig at XMP RAM clock of only 2666 MHz for a week or two..then try 2933, etc...; maybe complete stability with that brand of RAM on your board is just beyond your grasp)

(Was that RAM kit on the approved RAM compatibility list of tested RAM at 3200 MHz with your mainboard?)

I'm not sure where to find an approved list but I found this website.
https://pangoly.com/en/review/msi-x570-a-pro/compatibility/ram

A thing that I noticed that on PC part picker my ram doesn't show up. But nothing about my ram suggested to me that it shouldn't work. Again the RAM is pny xlr8 16gb ddr4 3200 (2x8gb).
I bought because I was in a pinch and needed RAM it worked for a couple weeks then I started getting BSODs again.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
What haven't you changed so far? It's just the cpu and storage, right?

Did you ever check the health of the current drive?
f1CyH0i.png

Sorry, forgot to post the results.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I haven't sent my CPU in for RMA yet.
The only things coming from a previous build are my PSU, case, GPU, and a hdd drive I converted for storage but haven't had connected for 2 months. Neither having the sata port plugged into the mobo nor having the drive in the case. I've tried using different graphics cards, an old gtx 660 and I used a known working GTX 1660 for a weekend and still got blue screens.

TRENDING THREADS