[SOLVED] Computer BSOD after about a week of use

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I've been having periodic BSOD ranging from from PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA , SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION , and most recently MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I initially thought it might be a ram issue so I swapped out my ram for pny xlr8 16gb ddr4 3200 ram. This seemed to work for a while but after a week I started getting BSOD again. I've RMA'd my Mobo twice and I'm currently RMAing my M.2. I'm running on an older plat drive and just received the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD. Usually after running WhoCrashed I just get the message that it might be a problem with a driver but I've updated the drivers to the latest. I use the GeForce Experience clean install to update the GPU driver and I go to the AMD for the most recent chipset drivers. I've tried flashing my MoBo with the newest firmware. The mobo, cpu, m.2, and ram are all new parts. This has been going on for about 6 months and I'm not sure where to turn next.

*edit
I don't have a spare CPU to try but I might be able to try and get someone to lend me RAM. The BSOD are intermittent.

Computer Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Mobo: MSI x570-a pro (RMA twice)
Ram: pny xlr8 16gb ddr4 3200 (replaced once)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb (working from old build and tried other graphics cards)
Hard Drive: Intel 660P M.2 (Currently in the process of RMA)
Temp HardDrive: Western Digital WD5000aakx
PSU: Thermal Take Smart 750w bronze (from old build)

Solution
Negative, nothing looks out of the ordinary.
"Could not write to memory", can be caused by:
-Defective Ram, which reminds me: Did you ever try Memtest86 on your new kit of memory?
-'Bad' 3rd party device drivers, which could be just about anything that's not Windows system drivers...
-Too many apps starting up. Check Task Manager > Startup for any unrecognizable apps.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Well this makes me lean more towards trying new ram. I can get new ram in a couple days compared to RMAing my CPU and waiting a potential 2 week turn around. I'll try that out and report back in a few days. I'll just have to reinstall windows 10 again once I get the new ram.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Reinstalled windows with the new ram. I tried to install the drivers before windows updating. I saw this error

Driver install failed, result=0x80240022 for devnode 'PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C03&SUBSYS_85AB1043&REV_A1\6&FA55729&0&0008000A'

after installing drivers and updating windows. Outside of MS Defender crashing after a restart from installing the audio driver nothing seems off but it could have been because I restarted it while it was updating.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I was referring to windows defender. I didn't pay attention to what windows update was doing after I installed my audio drivers.

I feel like my CPU is the problem. After I shut down my computer the power stayed on for 45 seconds and when I turned it on again it said there was an unexpected shut down.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I've had a few game crashes with the error "Could not write to memory". So I decided to check BIOS and wanted to know if I anything seemed off. I don't know maybe there is something else I need to do to configure the RAM.

RAM

hSMw9sh.jpg

CPU

zQMZwZY.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Negative, nothing looks out of the ordinary.
"Could not write to memory", can be caused by:
-Defective Ram, which reminds me: Did you ever try Memtest86 on your new kit of memory?
-'Bad' 3rd party device drivers, which could be just about anything that's not Windows system drivers...
-Too many apps starting up. Check Task Manager > Startup for any unrecognizable apps.

Solution

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I haven't run memtest86 yet. I was watching this video about tuning the memory and was debating running memtest86 and then checking the values to see if anything looks off. I was also looking at this reddit thread for it as well link.

Driver situation:

I've recently reinstalled my nvidia drivers and my chipset drivers. I know I reinstalled the AMD drivers after the bsod. I think the nvidia drivers were before the last blue screen because I was getting the following error.

Faulting application name: NVDisplay.Container.exe, version: 1.25.2802.9499, time stamp: 0x5e4ff156
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ff813e392c8
Faulting process id: 0x2590
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6328011f5147e
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaki.inf_amd64_149c0c4968822483\Display.NvContainer\NVDisplay.Container.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 7b3bad8c-8699-4bde-9073-677d97226333
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

From this forum post I've been trying to solve it. I didn't do the DDU in safe made then manual reinstall. I wanted to try and reinstall the driver then uninstall geforce experience to see if that was the issue. I didn't see the error again until today.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Basically yea, but the only way to know is tossing it into another rig and testing it there.
If not the CPU, then the motherboard South Bridge would be next on my list, but that's a non-issue as he is using the M.2 AND he RMA'd it twice.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
MemTest86 came back good. I started the RMA request with AMD but I'm not sure if covid is going to affect how quickly they get back to me. Hopefully this will be the cause of all problems otherwise I don't know what to do other than keep RMAing my mobo or just buy a new one.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Got my CPU back last night. I haven't had much time to use it yet but I installed all my drivers without any issues. I'm trying the MSI chipset drivers this time. The only issue I had was windows stalled on an update, I waited 2 hours and it was stuck at 74%, I couldn't do anything so I had to restart but then everything installed correctly.

Slayerrcks

Prominent
May 18, 2020
It's been 2 weeks and I haven't gotten a BSOD. I've gotten 2 errors about my previous shutdown was unexpected. I'm not sure if thats normal but I don't have any of the issues that I was having before. If that the unexpected shut down aren't an issue since they haven't been happening frequently I think my problem is solved. Thanks Phaaze88 and FoxVoxDK!

TRENDING THREADS