Question Computer Chassis & monitor leaking electricity constantly!

bilalirfanpk

Commendable
Dec 28, 2020
Any pro electrical gurus could help me?

My PC including my monitor and even voltage regulator is giving me constant electrical shock since few days. I have an aluminum keyboard and that too isn't usable due to this issue. All of the stuff is on a wooden table.

Tried plugging in my monitor, system and stabilizer (voltage regulator) separately in other rooms yet surprisingly all these 3 having same issue. None other appliance at home have this issue.

Changed my PSU and chassis, didn't work. Changed all the cables and even extension wire, didn't help.

Hammering a nail in the wall and connecting a copper wire from my system to it didn't help. Using 3 prong cables didn't help.
My apartment most likely isn't grounded an I have never ever faced such an issue with my PC ever in more than 16 years.
My mind is boggled, PLEASE HELP.

Currently using Thermaltake Versa N26 casing with RAIDMAX RX-400XT PSU.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020
Disclaimer: not an electrician but have knowledge of how the system works

I assume you're sure it's not static electricity picked up from carpets, clothes, etc.? (My desk chair gives me static shocks when I touch it)
If you've tried a three-pronged (grounded) plug and you still get electric shocks from your PC, you should probably get your house's grounding system checked out. If it was actually electricity leakage from mains then it should instantly trip the GFCI/RCD at the fuse box (assuming your house has one)

Reactions: bilalirfanpk

bilalirfanpk

Commendable
Dec 28, 2020
Disclaimer: not an electrician but have knowledge of how the system works

I assume you're sure it's not static electricity picked up from carpets, clothes, etc.? (My desk chair gives me static shocks when I touch it)
If you've tried a three-pronged (grounded) plug and you still get electric shocks from your PC, you should probably get your house's grounding system checked out. If it was actually electricity leakage from mains then it should instantly trip the GFCI/RCD at the fuse box (assuming your house has one)

Thanks for responding. I am using 3 prong cables for my PC yet I can feel constant voltage running in my case, keyboard, any USB cable attached to my system, my monitor & etc.
And nope, its not a static electric charge which happens mostly in dry weather. Checked with a tester pen, its proper electricity leakage. My apartment isn't grounded but never faced any issue while using my PC for more than 16 years now. Computers are safe to use with non-grounded outlets. No other appliance has this issue so there is no leakage from the mains either. :(