Question Computer comes on when PSU is turned on

sms1295

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I left town and I unplugged my computer and turned off the PSU. When I returned two weeks later, I plugged in the computer and turned on the PSU. To my surprise my computer started, stopped for a second, the came on sort of. Sounded like trying to start a car on a cold day. The case fans and CPU cooler fan come on. The monitor has the "no signal" message. The GPU has the white light on. The on/off button doesn't light up on even work. There are no beeps as the computer is trying to boot up. I turned the PSU on and off a few times, but still the same results.

System Info:

Intel Core i9-10900K
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Elite
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 2x8 gig
ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1070
EVGA SuperNOVA 650

Lutfij

Titan
Try and power up the system without the discrete GPU with the display hooked up to your motherboard's display output port. You should get display with the iGPU. How old is the PSU in your build?

With your system disconnected from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace CMOS battery after 30mins. See if that helps.

sms1295

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Changing the CMOS battery did stop the computer from coming on when I turned on the PSU. The normal on/off button still does nothing. Also, I plugged in my monitor to the motherboard HDMI slot and still nothing to the display. Any other suggestions I'm open to try.

sms1295

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Update...It appears that my CPU or connections to it are bad. I have four lights on my motherboard that light up when either the CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT is not working properly. The CPU light is on. Still haven't figured out what the fans come on when the PSU power is on, but I don't that that matters anymore.