Question Computer completely shutting down/restarting during specific games, but maybe not because of PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pez18000

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
(Never posted here before, sorry if I'm missing anything)

Lately my computer has been completely shutting down when I play two games specifically. These games are World of Warcraft (BFA) and Halo MCC (Halo 2 Anniversary). Checking Event Viewer shows this error every time:

Error - Critical - (Source) Kernel-Power - (Event ID) 41 - Keywords (70368744177664), (2).

After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my power supply (Corsair CX750M) must be going bad. I mean, after all apparently I was unlucky enough to have picked a power supply that's known to occasionally **** out way too early (Newegg reviews).

But I also know that WoW currently has some issues with DX12 that are known to cause the game to crash, so I figured maybe I should try stressing my cpu/gpu to draw power and see if my psu is really the problem. I used HeavyLoad and FurMark to get my cpu/gpu to 100% usage and left it for a couple minutes and my computer didn't crash like they have in those two games. This leads me to believe that maybe my psu isn't actually the problem since it powered my pc fine during the stress tests.

My question is, could my psu still be the problem? What else besides the psu could be the problem? I've gone through a complete reinstall of Windows and used DDU to uninstall then reinstall graphics drivers to no avail. The computer temps aren't getting too hot. I've never had this issue while playing other games such as COD MW or Overwatch.

If anyone would like a full copy of Event Viewer logs or a full computer spec list I'm happy to provide. Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
What are your temperatures?

The modern Corsair CXs are not particularly known for having problems, they're good budget PSUs. Customer reviews for PSUs are essentially worthless; you'd get as much useful information from consulting your horoscope for the day.

Also, please watch the language.

pez18000

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
What are your temperatures?

The modern Corsair CXs are not particularly known for having problems, they're good budget PSUs. Customer reviews for PSUs are essentially worthless; you'd get as much useful information from consulting your horoscope for the day.

Also, please watch the language.

My bad about the language, I'm new here and didn't realize that isn't allowed.

I mentioned in my original post that temperatures don't seem to be the problem, but just to be sure I checked again. I booted up Halo 2 Anniversary and ran around a bit and my temperatures got to about 65-70 C for both my gpu and cpu right before it crashed. It only took about 20 seconds in game for it to crash.

DSzymborski

Titan
My bad about the language, I'm new here and didn't realize that isn't allowed.

I mentioned in my original post that temperatures don't seem to be the problem, but just to be sure I checked again. I booted up Halo 2 Anniversary and ran around a bit and my temperatures got to about 65-70 C for both my gpu and cpu right before it crashed. It only took about 20 seconds in game for it to crash.

What do you have in Reliability Monitor? Event ID 41 just means that Windows was shut down improperly, which you already know since you know your PC is crashing.

pez18000

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
What do you have in Reliability Monitor? Event ID 41 just means that Windows was shut down improperly, which you already know since you know your PC is crashing.

I've never used reliability monitor so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, but it seems like every time I crash I get an event that says "Windows was not properly shut down" but when I click "View technical details" the only entry for the event is "The previous system shutdown at 11:18:30 PM on ‎6/‎16/‎2020 was unexpected." This is consistent with every time I've crashed in the past, but with different dates obviously.

pez18000

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
D'oh, there's sometimes a clue there. And you're not having problems other than these two games? Can you force DX 11 with WoW? I don't have it installed at the moment to check quickly.

Only these two games have been giving me fits. I can try to play some others to be sure, but so far only WoW and Halo 2 Anniversary are giving me trouble. I just got done playing Halo CE Anniversary without a single crash, and both of those games are launched through MCC. Funny enough, the temporary fix for WoW is to force Dx11 Legacy, while Halo 2 Anniversary runs Dx11 (verified with MSI Afterburner) and still crashes.

pez18000

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Just played a full match of COD MW without any problems, where as Halo 2 crashes after 15-30 seconds of play and WoW tends to crash immediately (When on Dx12, Dx11 legacy temporarily fixes the problem for WoW).

pez18000

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Decided to run MemTest64 to see if there might be something wrong with my ram, finished test with no errors. I've tried looking through the internet for people playing Halo 2 Anniversary (the game I'm most concerned with at the moment) that are having the same issue as me and I haven't found anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.