Question Computer constantly crashing no matter what game I play

aqualite

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
I am at my wits end with my wife's computer. For the last 3-4 months, no matter what game she is player her computer will crash without an error message. It is never consistent across the games either. She can play Guild Wars 2 for about an hour before it crashes to the desktop. In Dead Island 2and Helldivers 2 she can play for about 45 minutes. Once human will give her about 5 minutes after loading into the game world. The only game she seems to be able to play for any amount of time is Dark and Darker, though she will still get 1 crash in a 3 hour play session.

Her build is as follows:
Motherboard - MSI PRO B650-P WIFI AM5 AMD
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
GPU - ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 7900 XTX
RAM - G,SKILL Trident Z5 RGB series 32GB DDR5 6000
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W

So far I have done multiple reinstallations of AMD drivers and windows. I have read about heating and power issues with the 7900 xtx which is why I upgraded her from a 850w psu to a 1000w psu. I have also transferred her computer into a new case for better airflow and added more case fans. I have tried various changes in AMD Adrenalin with adjusting the GPU clockspeed to anywhere from 3000 down to 2200, maxed out fan speed and set the power tuning to +5%, +10%, and +15%. I have swapped out the 7900xtx with another card I have (VEGA 56) which is know good because it is in my kids computer. None of this has had any impact on the crashing issues. I am now starting to think it may be either a CPU or MoBo issue but I do not have spares to test.

Please help!

Last edited:
The most cost free test to start out with is remove the side panel and use a box fan blowing into PC while she games.

If it gets PC stable that says still a heating issue without the added box fan.

If it still crashes than we need to go deeper.

aqualite

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
The most cost free test to start out with is remove the side panel and use a box fan blowing into PC while she games.

If it gets PC stable that says still a heating issue without the added box fan.

If it still crashes than we need to go deeper.
I was doing this before I did the case swap without any changes. I monitor the temps while she plays and that does seem to be the common denominator. Once Human will get to 50c and crash but Dead Island 2 will run at 50c for 45+ minutes.

What's in her start up folder. Can you run memtest.

Is she using Chrome and Discord while gaming at the same time?

The power supply is more tricky to determine. I don't know where your unit falls in the "tier " but I have had similar quark where PC was just fine , game for a while and days no issue. Play Serious Sam 4 and bam PC reboots.

What I did is move that power supply to another PC and not a glitch in it's new home.

Different brand and model power supply and original PC just fine now.

Although I feel like your power supply should be fine finding and fixing issues is a bit of knowledge and black magic. I have learned logic sometime can keep a PC from being repaired, some times it's both logic with thinking outside the box.