Question Computer constantly restarting

Jun 22, 2021
Hi everyone!

I’m trying to figure out why my computer keeps restarting, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions or had encountered this issue.

For the last month or so, my computer will reboot itself multiple times throughout the day. Sometimes, I can get as far as logging in, and starting to reopen some windows before it shuts down again. More often, it will reboot as soon as I enter my password, or it will reboot multiple times in a row. I ran into this same problem about a year ago, but a thorough dusting of the PSU intake fan on the bottom of the case seemed to fix last year’s reboot issue. I’m still having this issue now even when it’s dust-free.

This started up again once the weather got warmer, and sometimes I can get the computer to stay on through the night when it’s cooler. This led me to believe it’s a temperature issue, but I checked my system and none of the components are abnormally hot.

The computer has yet to self-reboot while in safe mode, when I’m able to boot into that. This leads me to believe that it potentially isn’t a hardware problem, or that safe mode puts less strain on whatever faulty hardware is causing a problem. I haven’t installed any new software or hardware since this was resolved last year.

Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vWJrr

The next thing I’m planning to try is checking the thermal compound on the CPU. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021
The last time I was able to check, the CPU was 30C, and the GPU was 55C. But the system was showing green, so I didn't think that was abnormal? I'm not overclocking anything, no

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Jun 22, 2021
I'm in the process of doing the memtest, I haven't gotten any errors so far . The computer rebooted during the test, so I'm starting over now.
l273ue.JPG

Jun 22, 2021
Hi! I'm running the test again just to be sure, but the memtest passed without any errors so far.
po4fn6.JPG
9l1p3i.jpg

I have to wait until tonight when it's get cooler to try the Linux though

Jun 22, 2021
I did! It would crash randomly while running Linux Mint cinnamon. From the live install pictured, only the compatibility mode option worked. The first and last choices would play the Mint startup sound, but the monitor would repeatedly turn on and off without displaying anything but a black screen. I didn't try the third option.
y7ht3r.JPG

Also, I'm not sure if it means anything, but the display resolution and refresh rate were incorrect, and it wouldn't allow me to change it. My monitor is displaying these graphical artifacts flickering across the whole screen too now
vc8tv4.JPG

Jun 22, 2021
After running the computer for some time without the GPU, my computer does seem stable and I've experienced zero graphical issues! But the integrated graphics card isn't letting me display the full resolution either, design the Asus website claiming to offer my resolution and higher: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z270e-gaming-model/spec
39gir5.JPG

Does that confirm the GPU is the issue? What should I do? I know GPUs are crazy right now

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Jun 22, 2021
Thank you, I will take a look! Outside of pointing to the GPU as the culprit, is there anything you can think of that the GPU is doing that I could potentially fix? Is it something about this particular model, or is it just that the one I have is broken now? I don't want to get the same card again if it'll have the same issues : (

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you were overclocking the GPU, I would recommend you stop and revert to stock speeds. You can also try underclocking the GPU. Not likely to fix a hardware issue.

You could also try disassembling the GPU (remove the heatsink/fan) and apply new thermal compound/pads. This may not help either is the GPU is defective.

Jun 22, 2021
Thank you so much for all your help and patience. I guess that leaves me hoping with everyone else that the GPU market will settle down again before I can get everything fixed. But now at least I know what to fix now :)

Jun 22, 2021
I tried emulating a game on Dolphin for 2 hours without reboots, and just now it started to reboot again like before. It was on the integrated graphics though : (

Jun 22, 2021
If the GPU's issue was related to heat and assuming it was still the original culprit, might the motherboard have started the reboot issue because not it has more strain from using the integrated graphics? I didn't think the dolphin emulator would be stressful enough to cause a heat issue in such a short amount of time, and I don't recall the temperature reading to be abnormal while I was playing.

Is there a way to test the rebooting to rule out the motherboard or CPU? Or the only way to check if it's one of those would be to get a replacement and see if the problem persists?

The PSU is because I had never wanted to worry about a lack of voltage to the parts no matter how I upgrade my PC as a means of future proofing.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your only way to test the CPU/motherboard is to swap with known, good parts. From earlier, seems heat is not the likely issue. Swapping from the GTX to integrated essentially made no difference, so those are ruled out. Memory tested good.

OS didn't matter either, so we focus on what is left.