Computer continuously beeping on startup

Blake_26

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I built my computer about three years ago and I've had no issues until now. When I turn on my computer my mobo screen (asrock) come up but then switches to a black screen with a flashing white line and the beeping starts. This started happening right after my power went out and came back on.

Update: fixed, solution below

Solution
Glad I could help. Something is going on with that drive. Just make sure you backup all the important files you have on that HDD as soon as you can. It may work for now but you never know if and when it'll stop functioning.

Blake_26

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I have a 750w seasonic gold standard power supply, and I don't have any extras. Don't know if this changes anything but I am able to access everything off the bios screen, but after that the black screen comes up and the beeping starts so I can't boot into windows.

Blake_26

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Just tried using the only reset to default option I could find in my bios, didn't work. Just removed the battery from my motherboard, gonna wait a few minutes before I put it back in. Also forgot to mention that when I first start my computer I get the usual single beep when the mobo screen appears, as the continuous beeping only starts after it.

Update: Replacing the battery didn't work

The power surge either corrupted the BIOS or worse damaged something in your motherboard or something else in your system.

When you removed the battery, was the PC still plugged into the wall. First you have to remove the power cable or switch off your PSU and then remove the battery. The other option is to try to re-flash the BIOS chip but if your board is somehow damaged, you might not be able to complete the process and thus completely brick your motherboard. If your board is still under warranty you should consider RMAing it.

One other thing you could do is remove the GPU and try using the internal one, if of course you do have 2 GPUs available in your system. Maybe your GPU is what got damaged and your board is fine. You could also remove all the internal drive cables and see what happens. Maybe one of your drives got fried by the surge. The surge could have also damaged the PSU. You could borrow one from a friend and see what happens.

Finally post your complete specs.

EDIT: The fact that you have a surge protector doesn't mean that your system is 100% safe against power surges. Some surge protectors especially the cheap ones, are crap, without any serious protection and people think that they are safe when in fact they are not.

Blake_26

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Specs:

Mobo: asrock 970 extreme3

CPU: AMD fx 4170

PSU: seasonic 750w gold standard

HDD: 500gb WD blue

GPU: evga geforce gtx 670

RAM: g.skill ripjawz X series 2x4gb

Also I've tried removing my graphics card even though I don't have onboard, so no display. I get the expected five beeps which I guess means no gpu but the fast continuous beeps start soon after like they normally would.

Also tried reflashing the bios, successfully reflased but still have beeping

Blake_26

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
FIXED

Put windows 10 on a flashdrive and installed it on to an ssd a friend gave me, computer now boots up just fine. I assumed that my hard drive had failed, but I'm still able to access everything on it which is odd. Atleast it works now, and thank you guys for all the suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS