Computer crashes possibly related to memory. Please help

cerberus66

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Hi, I am desperately seeking some help for an issue I have been having with my machine. While gaming I will get the infamous black screen with a buzzing sound. I read a number of threads about this issue in the graphics card section and have tried everything I could based on what I have read there. The issue mostly seems to present itself with relatively new games such as Bioshock Infinite, Saints Row 4, Darksiders 2 and some others. I can run Team Fortress 2 all day long with no issues as well as any other less demanding games.

Since I originally thought it was video card related, (had an xfx r9 280x) I actually replaced the card with an MSI R9 390x. I am still having the issue even with the new card. I have run every benchmarking test I can find. Tried Prime 95, Furmark, and both in conjunction with each other. All temps stayed well within normal. I have run a Unigine test and everything worked great. The only other way I have been able to duplicate the issue outside of a game is with a 3dMark test. I can usually run the Skydiver test with no issue, but the Firestrike test crashes the system instantly. After a crash I have to do a hard restart.

I have tried everything I can think of, and everything I have been able to find online. I have done fresh install of Win 7 pro, removal of video drivers and fresh install, upped voltage on ram, reseated all cables and cards on the mobo. I have also tried underclocking the video card and checked for conflicting drivers. The windows error log only shows up as an uxexpected shutdown.

Now on to why this is in the memory section. I ran a memtest86 test on both ram sticks individually and they both passed. I wasn't convinced though because the test took like 10-12 hours to make two passes, seemed a little bit long to me. I then found the settings in memtest and I was only running the test with one core of my cpu. I changed to parallel to use all cores and bam. I actually crashed memtest with over 3 million errors on both ram sticks. I ran them one at a time. What I need to know is if this is an issue because of running on multiple cores. Also if there is a reason they would pass on single core, but then crash on multi core test.

I apologise, I know this was a long post but I have been pulling my hair out over this. I would truly appreciate any help anyone can offer. Let me know if any more information is needed to help diagnose this. Thank you

System Specs:
MB: Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0
CPU: AMD FX8350
PSU: Coolmax ZU-1000b
MEM: 16 GB Kingston Hyperx Beast HX321C11T3K2/16
GPU: MSI R9 390x

cerberus66

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Thank you for your response. That was actually my next theory. I was just trying to make sure I had exhausted all other options before buying any more parts.I was shopping around and was looking at this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2YW4084 or this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438035 I know it is not as simple as this but was hoping to make sure this was my problem since I dont have any extra PSUs just laying around. Thanks again for any help or ideas anyone may have.

cerberus66

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. Actually that wouldn't really be an option for me. Not really in with any other PC gamers around me, everyone else all drank the console Kool-Aid. I originally went with the 1000w so I would have the option to double up on my GPU when I had originally had the XFX, and was kind of thinking about leaving that option open. When I made my original build I had chosen an 850 from Corsair I think but was told that may be right on the edge of having enough power to run both GPUs. Unfortunately I will have to order one though. The only computer store I had near me with good parts selection was TigerDirect, and now they are all gone. I am going to check Best Buy later today and may get lucky but am not holding my breath.
Thanks again