Computer crashes when ever under load, with various crash codes. All new hardware.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Hello everyone, I hope you are ready, this might be a long story. I recently have been plagued with non-stop computer problems since when I thought it was a good time to upgrade my computer (ive had the computer for about 5 years). My computer's original working specs were as follows:

Dell XPS 9100
stock case
12 gigs ddr3, 1333mhz
intel i7, 960 @ 3.2 ghz stock cooler
gigabyte 970, G1 gaming @ 1564 core, 3668 mem
2 sata drives total 2.8 TB
blue ray optical drive
EVGA 750w g2 PSU
windows 7 professional

Output devices
3 monitors, total resolution: 5040x1050
Logitech g19s
Razer DeathAdder
Logitech 2.1 speakers
Realtek Headphones

As far as important software being run:
Custom system elements (themes, icons, pointer, animations, etc)
TuneUp Utilities 2013
Had rainmeter, didn't run it ever.

First idea I went to was to get a new motherboard, case, cpu cooler, and a second Graphics card to be able to play games better at this resolution. Although it wasn't I got all these parts when I noticed that my CPU at the time (960) was holding back my graphics cars quite a bit, and I expected it to only get worse in the near future as games are only getting better. I also realized that since my CPU architecture is completely discontinued, I wouldn't be able to upgrade the CPU alone. I then tried overclocking, and couldn't get a stable overclock to where it made a big difference. So I decided to return the motherboard. note everything worked fine. but performance was very low. My average FPS score on valley went from like 60 to 80ish I forget the exact score, and don't have access to the computer to check. Overclock helped a little. but couldn't get it stable (I'm not new to overclocking) So the things that changed were:

i7, 960 now at 3.8GHz
Phanteks case,
only 8 gigs of ram (old mobo has 6 DIMMs this one has 4)
2 970s now at a slightly lower clock speed, around 1550
Cooler master Nepton 240m
intel extreme motherboard dx58so2
(everything else was the same, except trying to install LEDS i fried my psu so i RMAed and got a new one.)

I then decided to upgrade to a 4790k, and an MSI z97a Krait motherboard.
after this things originally worked great. Valley scores were nearing 110 fps (Side story: I rarely update my computer, usually they just mess things up so I avoid it when I can) So I noticed there were more updates available for my computer so I broke from my past ways to install something like 40-50 updates. over the next few days a lot of stuff changed, because I began customizing it more.

I changed the system identity to be not from Dell anymore.
I deleted everything dell off the computer
I went on a mass cleansing of all stuff I never used in program files
I began to use rainmeter again because I found some good skins
I also began to play Sleeping Dogs again (which is horribly unstable on my computer, always has been. old GPU its didn't even run, Locked up the computer)
I began messing with the bios and overclocking.
I dual booted windows 10, on my second drive.
I defragged my whole hard drive and checked it for errors

It wasn't until playing sleeping dogs where things started to crash. I got my first blue screen after it had normal crashes a few times. I think it first blue screened after I tried updating my directx. I read somewhere that sleeping dogs corrupts directx. So I updated directx from various places, including Microsoft. But that didn't help. all the blue screen error codes had a possible cause of bad memory when I looked them up. they were

PAGEFILE_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_EXCPETION (i think it was just this, it might of said something after it. this one only happened once or twice)

I have all the dump files from these except for the first few. and could tell you more info on each one if asked. After a while they seemed to get worse and would bluescreen in any game (or stress test).

Heres one thing i did notice, just before it would bluescreen (sometimes), Rainmeter would "stop responding" and that little error message would pop up. Before it could say "a problem could not be found" or something, It would BSOD. one time it popped up right after a test in prime95 failed (rounding error. more on that if asked), I hit cancel or close right away and it didn't blue screen. BUT when I started the test again, it bluescreened Immediately, within a second. I rebooted and closed rainmeter. It still BSODed though.

Then one day, when i went to turn it on, it said my copy of windows wasn't genuine... Which it is I promise. Dell or Microsoft wouldn't help me when i called, but that's a topic for another day.

So i got 16GB of Kingston Hyperx RAM 1866mhz. That didn't help, it might have even made it worse. here's some other things i tried before getting new ram

Updated computer
did a clean install of graphics driver
3 hours of memtest86+ no errors on old memory
prime95 would crash randomly
turned off all overclocks on everything (GPU, CPU)
restored my computer to BEFORE playing the game.
used just one graphics card
i set the ram to a defined speed
turned off various things in the bios.
used a different power supply.
updating directx
cleaning my computer with tuneup.
and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The RAM I swore would of fixed it, everyone online said that getting new RAM would fix it. So I'm out of ideas. The computer boots after the blue screens, but only if I run my power supply by itself, or else it just turns off and on repeatedly.

Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated, I'm a college student so I use my computer A LOT and I'm a computer science major.

Thanks in advance!

oh my current specs are

Phanteks Case
i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz
Z97A Krait Mobo
CM Nepton 240m Cooler
2 Gigabyte 970 G1
16GB Fury HyperX 1866MHz
EVGA 750w G2 PSU
BR Optical Drive
2.8 TB disk space
Unactivated Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 10
(both on separate HDDs)

Output devices are the same.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Temps are no where near critical. at idle the CPU is around 23, coolest core, 30, hottest core. gpus are between 30 and 40. the top one is always cooler. under load cpu will never go above 65. gpus only as high as 75 under full load.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I just got it to boot, and just paused the scene in Valley. After a few minutes, artifacts started to appear, or flashes of colors in certain parts of the screen (I don't know if id classify them as artifacts). Then it closed and I saw the "Rainmeter has stopped responding" then it BSODed.

Update: oooooo I just looked at the dmp file of the one described above. New blue screen code! yay... not really. its UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. ill look into this.

I'm going to see if I can get it to crash in safe mode. then I know its system related and not a bad driver, software or something like that

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I will check the even viewer.

every blue screen says it is caused by either nvlddmkm.sys (NVidia driver, my dirvers are current) and/or ntoskrnl.exe (windows kernel file)

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
The new error code also points to bad memory/hardware issues.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope its not my graphics cards..

Ok ill try that thanks. Give me a minute :)

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Just letting you know, that not all the blue screens include the NVidia driver as a cause. The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA never have the NVidia driver as a cause

thanks, ill try going to an old driver first.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
current version is 458.50, installing 347.88.

I have been using only one card since I have been having issues. ill switch them out if its still crashing. At this point, I'm not very optimistic. why by a door stopper for these heavy dorm doors, when you can use your expensive gaming rig that doesn't even work? Oh and those graphics cards? use them as coasters :)

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
it survived valley, but that isn't very CPU intensive. and it used to just blue screen in games not in valley. it wasn't until I installed the new ram when it started crashing sooner.

ill see if I can crash it. Thanks for your help btw.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
ooh so close. it survived valley for like 15-25 minutes. valley crashed to desktop, no error message. it stood at the desktop for about 30 sec - 1 minute then blue screened. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. progress.

this is with rainmeter not running.

I just switched the cards and its running valley. it better crash so I can rule out the cards

Error Message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Explanation:

This Stop message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory address to which it did not have permission to access. The most common cause of this error is an incorrect or corrupted pointer that references an incorrect location in memory. A pointer is a variable used by a program to refer to a block of memory. If the variable has an incorrect value in it, the program tries to access memory that it should not. When this occurs in a user-mode application, it generates an access violation. When it occurs in kernel mode, it generates a STOP 0x0000000A message. If you encounter this error while upgrading to a newer version of Windows, it might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.
User Action:

This error usually occurs after the installation of a buggy device driver, system service, or BIOS. To resolve it quickly, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows 2000 Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time. If you encounter this error while upgrading from Windows NT 4.0 or earlier, it might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version. If possible, remove all third-party device drivers and system services and disable any virus scanners prior to upgrading. Contact the software manufacturers to obtain updates of these tools. For additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error, check the System Log in Event Viewer. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve this error. You should also run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. If your system has small computer system interface (SCSI) adapters, contact the adapter manufacturer to obtain updated Windows 2000 drivers. Disable sync negotiation in the SCSI BIOS, check the cables and the SCSI IDs of each device, and confirm proper termination. For enhanced integrated device electronics (EIDE) devices, define the onboard EIDE port as Primary only. Also, check each EIDE device for the proper master/slave/stand-alone setting. Remove all EIDE devices except for hard disks. If the message appears during an installation of Windows 2000, make sure that the computer and all installed peripherals are listed on the Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) on http://www.microsoft.com. For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
well, the other gpu survived an hour of valley and is standing by during a prime95 test now. i ran both the cards with the same overclock. one blue screened, one didn't.

nothing changed hardware wise to make these cards different. suddenly i was getting bluescreens. nothing hardware wise happened? why would the "Bad" card crash the system during a cpu test that doesn't touch the gpu. maybe something software related is causing graphic crashes to go unhandled resulting in bsod. ugh i don't know. i need to do more tests with the other card after i get some baseline on the "good" one.

I'm still reluctant to believe its the cards. one is less than a year old, the other is a month old.

genpike

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Well well. Unfortunately one of my cards causes the blue screens. i couldnt get the older card to blue screen overlcocked/not overclocked/rainmeter on or off/ prime95 test.

Do you think it could be a bad BIOS on one of the cards? could i flash the good bios of the other card to the new card? ive never done that before. but the bad card doesnt really work now any way. or should i RMA

Its just what would of caused this? they both worked in this system before and at the same time. Nothing changed hardware wise before i was getting blue screens and after.

ill have a friend test them to see if he has any problems

(sorry for all the separate posts)