Question Computer crashes when trying to install Windows 10

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Okay so my grandfather here has a very old Asus F5SL Laptop. The computer has Windows 7 Ultimate installed and it's so broken it's pissing me off so much, so when I went down to him and my grandmother for my Summer holidays, I decided I will finally upgrade the computer to Windows 10. I made an USB Stick with the Windows 10 Installer on it. I plug the USB in, launch from the USB and it loads. When the USB is finished loading, the spinning dots appear. The dots spin for a couple seconds and then... The computer just turns off. I turn it on again and it normally boots into Windows 7.

I tried remaking the USB into a GPT partition with Rufus because I though the computer is crashing because it has UEFI BIOS (Since it has American Megatrends installed as its BIOS), but when trying to launch from the USB it just told me to remake the USB into a MBT partition scheme. I remade it into an MBT partition scheme on that same computer and the computer crashed again.
I tried upgrading to Windows 10 directly through the Media Creation Tool. When it (finally) came to the Windows 10 screen, the computer crashed again. I was furious, because I was waiting like an hour just to see the PC crash. When I turned it on again and booted into Windows 7, I got an error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017. I tried reinstalling the video driver because it's so old and I believed it was causing these problems. It legit took me an hour and a half to reinstall it without Windows 7 breaking.
I tried updating my BIOS to the latest version through the "Easy" Flash Utility in BIOS, but the Utility just wouldn't detect the file. I feel like this is the problem because usually old BIOS causes these things. I just don't know how to upgrade BIOS.

I would extremely appreciate some help from anyone because this is really annoying... Thanks to anyone that will help me, because this Windows 7 just keeps breaking even more every day and pissing me off more and more...

Thanks again for anyone helping me out.

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
OH ALSO I have a computer at my home. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and this laptop has an Intel Core 2 Duo T5800. The two computers are both 11 years old. I was able to install Windows 10 on my PC no problem and also reinstall it a million times (don't ask why I did it because I don't know why I did it myself...), while for the laptop it just simply doesn't work. It's really making me think it's a problem with old BIOS, since Microsoft makes drivers for basically every device that can be used in Windows 10.

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
I did make a USB. I downloaded an official ISO using the Media Creation Tool and made it into a bootable USB with Rufus. I did that multiple times and the same result. As I said, it's possibly the outdated BIOS. It could also be that the graphics card simply isn't supported or maybe just the driver.

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Whenever I try to make an USB using the Media Creation Tool, it always throws some error because the people who made it can't code that well. Believe me it always throws some error when it formats the USB.

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Okay so I created a bootable USB using Media Creation Tool but it still crashes. I also chose to install both 64-bit and 32-bit version on the USB. I tried running both and the same result for both.

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
No error. It just turns off without any explanation. Even when I boot the PC back up, Windows 7 doesn't report any errors. However, when I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 directly from the Media Creation Tool, it threw an error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 once I rebooted back into Windows 7. It usually means a driver error, especially a faulty graphics card, which I reinstalled the driver for before. I then have a feeling that old BIOS is causing these errors, but I don't know how to upgrade my BIOS because the Flash Utility doesn't seem to detect the file.

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Okay so a funny thing happened right now. I uninstalled the wireless adapter and the bluetooth adapter and I tried running the installer from USB. I got an error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I tried running again and that time it just turned off.

Latest posts