[SOLVED] Computer Crashes While Playing Graphically Intensive Video Games

Nov 9, 2018
Every time I am playing a graphically intensive game my computer will crash and display only a grey or black screen. The only way to get it started again is to manually turn off and on my computer again.

My specs are:
GPU: ASUS RX 480 8 GB
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600
PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB
Opersating System: Windows 10 64 Bit

I have monitored the temperatures and they are all below the threshold to automatically shut off my computer. I have flashed my BIOS. I have updated my drivers and the problem still persists. I built my computer about 6 months ago and the problems started after 2 months of normal playing. What can I do to fix this?

Solution

Here's something I would try...run HWMonitor...minimize it....run a game that really pushes your system....maybe real quick before it crashes.....exit out of the game....and look at you high and low voltages on HWMonitor.

The low ones are what you care about most....they can't dip below the 5%.

The thing is...the voltages all go lower the more power you pull from the PSU (this is a pretty general statement),,,,so at idle...they might not drop enough to cause a crash...but under load they will.

Nov 9, 2018

Yes I have the 4+2 pin connector plugged into my graphics card.

heshclub7

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Have you done a full uninstall of your graphics driver and installed the newest one available? Sometimes old drivers come back as ghosts and mess with the new ones.

Also, double check to see if your CPU, GPU and PSU fans are all running. Faulty temp sensors are not unheard of.

iamacow

Admirable

The card wouldn't boot if that was the cause. However If the temps are okay than the PSU is dying is what I get from this. Crash or grey screen is video card usually. Bad card or loss of power is the biggest offenders. It could be software, but if every games does it, than I'm thinking either.

Here's something I would try...run HWMonitor...minimize it....run a game that really pushes your system....maybe real quick before it crashes.....exit out of the game....and look at you high and low voltages on HWMonitor.

The low ones are what you care about most....they can't dip below the 5%.

The thing is...the voltages all go lower the more power you pull from the PSU (this is a pretty general statement),,,,so at idle...they might not drop enough to cause a crash...but under load they will.

Solution