Question Computer crashes with CPU motherboard light in very specific instances

Feb 6, 2024
I am fully stumped on this one and any help is very much appreciated!

To give some backstory, in November I upgraded my CPU and GPU to the current specs listed below. I had to update my BIOS to the latest version to support the new CPU and avoid the red light on boot up. Afterwards, everything went well and all the benchmarks seemed up to par. I was able to play games like City Skylines II without any issues. However, then the issues started with Guild Wars 2. It is a game I play regularly and never ran into any issues. I was revisiting an older map and suddenly, without any stutter or slow down, my displays lose signal and the red CPU light on my motherboard turns on. All internal fans and lights continue working. The PC is unresponsive to holding the power button, and I have to switch off the PSU to kill it. On startup there is no mention of an issue and everything goes back to normal. I get back into the game and I crash again on the same map. Thinking this is a GW2 issue, I reinstall the game and try again. Then a few days later, on a different map, it happens again. So far these are the only two areas of the game that cause this issue. The other 99% of the game is smooth sailing. I decide to take a break from GW2 and start playing Airship: Kingdoms Adrift. The game works great on my PC and over roughly 2 weeks I get about 17 hours on it. But then, when entering a new city, my computer crashes again. Same MO. I try to load the save in the city, and without interacting with the game at all, my computer crashes about 1 minute later. I open a save a while back, and everything works fine until I get to this one city. As soon as I enter, I stop interacting and again, about 1-5 mins later, my computer crashes.
Now onto the troubleshooting:
  1. My CPU, GPU, and motherboard temps are only around 60-70 C when playing these games.
  2. Windows Event Viewer shows no errors apart from the power failure of me switching off the PSU.
  3. I have updated my drivers using Driver Booster and am up to date on graphics drivers and BIOS.
  4. I removed the CMOS battery and drained the motherboard.
  5. I uninstalled and reinstalled both games.
  6. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, no errors.
  7. I tried each stick of RAM individually and in different slots, same issue.
Here is where it gets spicier. I was recommended to run Cinebench and Furmark benchmarks at the same time. I started with Cinebench, and then when I added Furmark, my computer crashed in the same way. This made me suspicious of a PSU issue. So I buy a new Corsair 1000W RMe PSU and install it. When I first test it, Furmark and Cinebench run simultaneously and finish 2 full cycles! I think it is fixed, and load up Airship only to see it crash.

Feeling defeated, I lug my PC over to Microcenter. This so far has been very unhelpful as they just reinstalled my graphics drivers and ran all of their tests and benchmarks and found no issues. As soon as I get it back and run Airship, boom crash.

At this point, I am at a loss. My computer works great and passes all of these tests. But in very rare circumstances, like the two GW2 maps and the one Airship city, it is destined to crash consistently. I am confident now that when I enter Firefort in the Airship game, my computer will crash within 1-5 minutes.
Any help is really appreciated here! I will likely take it back to Microcenter if I can't figure it out and make use of their repair warranty. Thank you!

Specs:
  • Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450 Max
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • GPU: Nvidia 4070Ti
  • RAM: 2x 16GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz
  • SSD: Samsung EVO

Reactions: artk2219
Feb 6, 2024
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

What error codes are being captured via Reliability History and/or Event Viewer?
The issue started with my older Apevia PSU. Thinking that was the issue, I installed a brand new Corsair 1000W RMe (with new cables) just last week, but the issue persisted.

The only error code in Event Viewer is a Critical Power Failure. However, I am unsure if this is just from me switching off the PSU to kill the PC. I haven't checked reliability history and will dig into that.

Have you tested the memory at all? Have you run Prime 95 to single out the CPU for testing?
I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic which came back clean. I also tried each stick individually and in different slots and still got the issue. I will try running Prime 95 as well.

Ralston18

Titan
Forced power downs can and do corrupt files.

Use "dism" and "sfc /scannow" to find and fix such problems.

= = = =

Do remember that some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick must be placed in a specific slot.

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Feb 6, 2024
Forced power downs can and do corrupt files.

Use "dism" and "sfc /scannow" to find and fix such problems.

= = = =

Do remember that some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick must be placed in a specific slot.

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.
Both DISM scanhealth and sfc came back clean. I also looked into reliability history and did find Windows reporting it was not shut down correctly but that is it. The RAM is in the correct spots requested by the motherboard and I confirmed this when I tested individual sticks in different slots. For some more info, I should also note that I have gotten the crash with both XMP on and off.

Feb 6, 2024
Also, just did another test where I ran Prime 95 and for good measure put FurMark on top. Both ran together just fine with temps around 70 C on both CPU and GPU. No crashes... Although interestingly, FurMark only showed about a 50% GPU utilization, which I have noticed with some games. I am not sure why it isn't able to max it out. Prime 95 easily hit 100% on both CPU and Memory. At this point, it seems the only thing crashing is this Airship game which isn't anywhere close to the same intensity. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling again and test.

Feb 6, 2024
Unfortunately, it happened again after the reinstall. I had hope as it stood for about 5 minutes before crashing. I was monitoring the usage and temps and they all stayed low (CPU: 30%, 70 C, GPU: 50% 65 C, Memory: 10/32 GB). :(

Ralston18

Titan
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage.

Clear CMOS per the applicable instructions in the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

[Note: I would expect that MicroCenter would do all that. However, no certainty about what what they did or did not do.]

Airship: noted that you reinstalled the game: source?

artk2219

Distinguished
Unfortunately, it happened again after the reinstall. I had hope as it stood for about 5 minutes before crashing. I was monitoring the usage and temps and they all stayed low (CPU: 30%, 70 C, GPU: 50% 65 C, Memory: 10/32 GB). :(
It sounds like you're at the start swapping and testing individual parts point. Do you have another PC you can use to test any components with, or do you have any spare parts laying around?