Computer crashing after GPU upgrade

Mikeykeyz

Honorable
May 1, 2013
I just got my new GPU up and running. Its a GTX 650 Ti Boost. I have a i-7 860 @ 2.8, a 600w PSU and 8g of RAM. After installing it, my games run so much better... for about 10 mins and then my computer crashes and restarts. It only crashes when i load up my games and usually takes a few minutes. Depending on the game it will crash faster. WoW crashes after 10-15 mins. Witcher 2 crashes after like 2 mins. I set my graphics settings to high on all my games but this shouldnt make my computer crash. I am using a Vizio VA220E (720p) and set my resolution to 1260 x 720. So disappointed and frustrated right now.

Things you should know:
Did the installation myself
Replaced an old AMD so i had to manually remove driver and all traces of AMD/ATi in hidden files / registry.
Only crashes while running games.
Seems to crash faster with more graphic intensive games.
Using a TV as a display connected through HDMI.
Doesnt seem to be overheating... all fans spinning and it feels just slightly warm.

Solution
The problem is definitely the power supply unit.

When Hardware Secrets reviewed the Logisys PS600A12 they found that it could only produce a maximum of 341.1 Watts.

The +12V rectifier burned out when they tried to draw 375 Watts from the power supply.

The +5V rail always ran out of spec. The ATX12V spec allows for a maximum of 5.25 Volts but the Logisys PS600A12 was always running at 5.26 to 5.38 Volts.

Gman_29

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Hi there,

Ensure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and GPU first off.

Have you overclocked the GPU since you got it or is it at stock frequencies? I only ask because all cards are different and sometimes overclocking a reportedly eager card may sometimes result in instabilities.

This could also apply to any other overclock you may have applied, notably a RAM overclock. If you have overclocked anything take it back to stock settings and try again.

All that aside the only thing left, in my experience, would be to try different ram sticks/Gfx cards to try and eliminate possible causes. Could well be an RMA on your new card my friend :(

Gman_29

Honorable
May 3, 2013
If you have an SLI capable motherboard you may want to try swapping your gfx card over to the second PCI-e slot. I had an MSI board that gave me the same issues you are experiencing now but with a GTX560 and it was due to the main PCI-e slot being duff.

just a thought, worth a try if you have the option.

Mikeykeyz

Honorable
May 1, 2013
my psu----> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170023
my card is factory overclocked i believe. it says "OC Version" on the box
I'm going to try updating my mobo drivers / bio cause my bios version is dated in 2009.
I'm starting to worry that i screwed something up when attempting to switch from AMD drivers to Nvidia drivers in which case i would need to reformat the harddrive which aparantly is annoying with windows 8.

Gman_29

Honorable
May 3, 2013
What did you have before the 650ti? Did it also require a single 6pin or did it pull all its power from the board? The Psu could be the culprit but if your last card was working fine and had similar power requirements the psu is unlikely to be at fault.
600w (maybe 480w in real terms due to the quality of the unit) is more than enough to run your system at full load.

ThomasJ93

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
According to Newegg, the power supply delivers 25A on the +12V rail. This translates to 300W total for the +12V. Since the i7 860 isn't very efficient when it comes to power consumption, I'm blaming the PSU for the crashes.

The problem is definitely the power supply unit.

When Hardware Secrets reviewed the Logisys PS600A12 they found that it could only produce a maximum of 341.1 Watts.

The +12V rectifier burned out when they tried to draw 375 Watts from the power supply.

The +5V rail always ran out of spec. The ATX12V spec allows for a maximum of 5.25 Volts but the Logisys PS600A12 was always running at 5.26 to 5.38 Volts.

Solution

ThomasJ93

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

What a load. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. 8GB of RAM is more than enough for a gaming system.

Gman_29

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Wow, that is pretty low for a 600w psu, lower than even i gave it credit for. Based on that information I'd have to agree that the psu is beginning to look the likely culprit.
Do you have a spare from a previous build or a friend who can allow you to test another (better) psu before you buy another one?
If not just buy a branded 500w psu (something like a seasonic, antec, corsair) and return it if the problem persists and you'd rather have your money back.

Mikeykeyz

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Update:

After updating drivers and bios the computer began shutting off even when my old card is installed and games are not being loaded. upon rebooting it reads CPU thermal error. I noticed my heatsink on my CPU was loose and only making loose contact to the thermal paste side of the CPU. Snit even when I tightened it, it still shuts of and reads a thermal error so I'm totally confused. I brought it to best buy and am having them send it to get a full diagnostic for 35. I would probably cry if the CPU is screwed because its like 280 bucks for a new one. Can a psu cause a CPU thermal error? And why would it still crash when my old card that never had problems with the psu is installed?

According to Intel's specifications for the Intel Core i7-860 Processor, it doesn't have Thermal Monitoring Technologies.

Thermal Monitoring Technologies protect the processor package and the system from thermal failure through several thermal management features. An on-die Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) detects the core's temperature, and the thermal management features reduce package power consumption and thereby temperature when required in order to remain within normal operating limits.

Intel's Thermal Monitoring Technologies was implemented with the Sandy Bridge processors.

It is suppose to protect the processor against a CPU heatsink that is loose or has fallen off as long as the Thermal Monitoring Technologies feature has not been disabled by the user in the BIOS Setup.

DSzymborski

Titan
For best results, you really need to clean off the CPU and put on some fresh thermal paste before you reattach it. If you can resuscitate your PC (or if Best Buy can), I'd heartily second the recommendation to replace that PSU at your earliest possible convenience. The odds of me winning an Oscar and dating Scarlett Johansson are significantly better than that Logisys surviving a load anywhere near 600W. Your system's power supply is as crucial a component as your car's brakes.

Mikeykeyz

Honorable
May 1, 2013
So now after having my computer for a week best buy is telling me since I built the comp my self they can't do anything to it and I'm on my own. The first thing I will be doing is replacing my psu even though I doubt that a bad psu would cause a CPU thermal error. I guess if that doesn't work I'll move on to replace the CPU and then the mobo... This gpu upgrade is turning out way more expensive and frustrating than its worth...

DSzymborski

Titan

As I said farther up, you should clean the CPU, reapply thermal paste and then reconnect and tighten everything.

Whether or not it was in fact the PSU that caused the crashing (a weak/dying/bad PSU can results in all sorts of wacky systems), you need to replace the PSU anyway.

It would be extremely helpful if you could monitor the temperatures with HWMonitor up until the crashing. Knowing whether you're getting very high temperatures and just happen to have a lousy PSU or if the PSU or something else is mucking things up is useful information to help you with your problem.

Mikeykeyz

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Just replaced the PSU with a $137 thermaltake 850watt and WE GOOOD!!!! so happy and kinda feel stupid for not starting with the PSU but thanks for all your help and support. Certainly will be back on here for the helpful community. Thanks again!