Computer Crashing and Making Loud Fan Noise

Nov 18, 2018
Hi fellas,

I built a new computer about 8 months ago and I’ve been gaming with no problems ever since. However, a few weeks ago I overclocked both my CPU and GPU. Everything seemed fine at first, I ran Cinebench and 3DMark with impressive performance gains and the system seemed stable. However, when playing video games, I now experience crashes after several minutes of playing. The display goes black and my computer starts making a very loud noise, almost like if the fans were running at 100%. I have tried to pinpoint what component is making this noise but I am not sure, as I have 8 fans and my GPU has an additional 3, but I do think it’s the GPU fans. I restored my bios settings back to default and my GPU as well, so no more overlocking but the problem still persists.

I have Googled this and most threads most threads I have seen, the people with the issue report a loud buzzing noise coming from the speakers, but mine doesn’t come from the speakers, it comes from the fans. In a thread that described a similar problem, it said to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, which I did and passed. I also checked for driver updates and I am up to date. I updated my bios to the latest one, too.

The one thing I haven’t tried is formatting and starting fresh but from other threads I’ve read, that hasn’t necessarily fixed the problem.

Here are my computer specs:
Intel i7 8700k
Asus ROG Maximus X Code
NZXT Kraken X62 AiO
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB
Corsair RM850i PSU
Windows 10

My intuition tells me it might be related to the GPU, but unfortunately I don’t have any spare parts so I can swap and test.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2018
Forgot to mention, the BIOS version I updated to is Version 1704. I've also been keeping an eye on temps and they're fine, never going above 70C under load.