Computer crashing because of resolution problems or because of HDMI?

goldengun85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
This is my first DIY build and I'm having some strange issues with it. When I have it connected to my TV via an HDMI cable (HDMI-HDMI OR DVI-HDMI) I am experiencing frequent crashes with no BSOD, just a black screen. Sometimes the sound will continue playing for a few seconds or even minutes and then it will start making a loud buzzing or 'burrring' sound (like the sound is frozen at that exact moment/frequency). I have to manually power it down after that and start it back up. I've tried updating all of my drivers, stress tested the graphics card, tested the memory (before I figured out that it was a problem with the connection type), and tried messing with the resolution on my computer (the recommended resolution it gives me for the HDMI connection to my TV is 1280 x 720) all to no avail. Windows is giving me no critical errors in the logs.

Before I figured out that it was a problem with the graphics card or a resolution problem, I had tried going into the BIOS and was just getting a black screen. I tried clearing the CMOS and was unable to see anything after I did that. I thought I had messed something up until I randomly decided to use a monitor (DVI-DVI connection) and suddenly I could see everything. I was able to reset the BIOS and go into all of the setup screens with no problems. My first thought after that was that I could possibly use the monitor and wait until it crashed to see if I was getting some sort of BSOD and it just wasn't registering much like the BIOS setup pages. However, I found out that it actually doesn't crash while using the monitor. This is what led me to believe that it was a resolution problem or a problem with the input type. (NOTE: it only seems to crash when I have something in full screen as in a game or a video).

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte z77-ds3h
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3 (2 4GB sticks) 1600 MHz
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Ultra LSP750 750W ATX
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64 bit)
Monitor: (the one that it crashes on) Sharp lc-32sh12u

Sounds like a driver issue to me... update drivers, if you have already, get ccleaner boot into safe mode, delete all drivers (CCC), restart into safe mode, run the registry cleaner tool in ccleaner until no issues are present, restart, go to the AMD website and download drivers again. If that doesn't work we will reassess the problem. GL =D.

goldengun85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
It's still crashing. It took a little while to crash again but it did. I did everything just as suggested...the only part that I couldn't do was uninstall IN safe mode. It kept saying the the window's uninstaller was not available in safe mode (and this was while using CCleaner). I uninstalled in regular mode, made sure the drivers were gone, went into safe mode, ran ccleaner to clean the registry until there were no more problems, and then redownloaded the drivers. Everything was fine for a little while but it ended up crashing in the middle of playing a game again.

Hmmm. This is something over my head then. I hope someone else can figure it out but I will do some research. I will try to get back to your.