Question Computer crashing, but no idea why! (Older setup) (Bit lengthy)

Oct 27, 2024
System specs:

Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: Corsair DDR3 16GB XMS / (current) Patriot DDR3 32 GB
Processor: AMD FX FD 8350 8-core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb / GeForce GTX 1080 8gb
PSU: Gigabyte 750 GM

To summarize the symptoms:

GPU randomly quits, and the entire system turns unresponsive, with black screen monitor, Mouse and Keyboard also unresponsive. More often than not the power/reset buttons on the case are rendered out-of-commission, forcing a hard shutdown via PSU switch. Meanwhile the CPU and case fans tend to be spinning still. Finally, after rebooting system soon-after, the screen remains blank, periphials unresponsive.

Using a spare machine, tests done already over the course of the summer (and results):

HardDrives: Through chkdsk and DiscGenius, these are verified to be in complete order. Furthermore there is no issue HDs into another case, OS loads fine and there are no crashes no matter how long left running in the borrowed machine.
RAM: Through Windows 7 Diagnostic tools, the Corsair are in working order. Patriot as-yet-untested
PSU: Through PSU tester everything was in order, also using it in borrowed machine showed no problem.
Processor: Purchased a second processor of same make and specs. No difference, the system still crashes.
Motherboard battery replaced, CMOS reset, BIOS set to defaults.
Motherboard itself also replaced to no avail.
GPU: The 1060 works; relying on it right now for the current set-up. The 1080 may be bad, after attempting to use in an entirely different environment, the error 'miraculously' reproduced.

The only test not done on physical components is the power socket and surge protector.

To say this has been frustrating would be an understatement. Effectively rebuilt the entire system and still these crashes persist (CANNOT over-emphasize the random element; could be at Powering On, or Windows logo, or while in OS gaming, writing, listening to music, watching videos). Would be 90% certain it's the graphic cards themselves but for the 1060 (used for years before errors began), now huming along. Either I've the worst luck in replacement parts (everything refurbished or used), or crossed the path of some witch who hexed my PC.

If you can, please: HELP!

That's one of the earliest AMD boards with UEFI there was, and given all of the troubles Sandy Bridge had with early UEFI implementations, I would strongly suggest installing Win 7 in Legacy BIOS mode, which of course limits you to booting from 2TB disks or smaller. Win 7 in UEFI mode requires UEFI 2.0 with CSM enabled as it calls INT10 even when it's booting from UEFI.

GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 have a "Hybrid EFI" which I would not suggest using. v3.0, 4.0 and 4.1 had full UEFI which might work, but if you are using small disks and Windows 7, then Legacy BIOS mode would probably still be less problematic. 10 series GTX should work fine with Legacy BIOS mode (I would even suggest trying Windows XP, except there are no 10 series XP drivers).

If it's already in Legacy and worked fine for years, then perhaps you had all of the updates installed before but have since reinstalled Windows after the WindowsUpdate servers for Win7 were shut down Jan 16th 2023? legacyupdate.net has a working mirror/WSUS proxy server of the old WindowsUpdate catalog for Windows and Office to replace WindowsUpdate functionality. It's pretty much just like the manual WindowsUpdate run in a browser for previous versions of Windows.

I don't think GTX1080 will be appreciably faster than GTX1060 on FX8350. Both will run 1080p OK but you could turn up the eye candy more on the GTX1080.

Jul 22, 2024
Hi I have a similar system I am using now. My system specs are a Gigabyte 990fxa ud5 version3.0 motherboard with 32 GB trident RAM 9370 FX CPU GTX 1050 TI 4GB graphic card. WD Blue 1TB SSD and a Hybrid Seagate 2 TB HDD. Seasonic 1050 Watt PSU. I have the original liquid cooler for this CPU. I bought this system for $200 as it would not boot. The problem was a faulty after market liquid cooler malfunction. The BIOS is updated to 2015 for this motherboard. I am currently running Windows 11 24H2 UEFI fully installed with no issues. It is fully updated. I would recommend for you to consider upgrading your BIOS to the latest for your MB. Then Clean install either Windows 10 22H2 till October of 2025 or Windows 11 23H2 with Rufus 4.5 or Rufus 4.6 for Windows 11 24H2 to create the bootable USB with which ever OS you choose for your system. You can Installl Windows 11 In Legacy mode. You will need to change your BIOS setting to legacy mode. You can download it from Microsoft now. You may find find you will have alot less issues as Windows 7 is no longer supported. I have a 14 yr old Dell system running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit to run old games. I am 60 yrs old and I am a old school gamer. Just my opinion and suggestion. Cheers.

Last edited: