Question Computer Crashing Under Certain loads (No BSOD)

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
Hello! i have a problem of my PC crashing under certain loads. Sometimes itll do it, some times it wont. Ive noticed it happens more frequently when im alt tabbed doing something while a game load (for instance COD:MW), but only does it while the game is loading, if i do it while im in game its fine. Sometimes itll even do it while im loading and im not alt tabbed doing something. I tried Red Dead Redemption 2 and it ended up crashing while playing, around 3 hours in. I got a RTX 2060 for Christmas, and after installing it is when it started happening. I wouldnt figure it would be a driver error, as they usually bring up BSOD errors. But i have tried reinstalling, and rolling back drivers. Me, and 2 people ive asked are stumped and dont know, so ive resorted to asking online. i have a 750W power supply so i have more then enough power to power my pc under full load.

SPECS:
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E
Ram: 2x 8GB 2133 Ballistix LT Sport
CPU: I7-7700K
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra
PSU: Corsair CX750

USEFUL INFO
Nothing is overclocked, nor was as of installing the 2060
ran memtest86, all 4 test came back good
temps are fine, nothing besides CPU gets above 70c (kaby lake will do that to ya on cheap air coolers lol)
have reset bios settings (took out cmos battery and waited more then enough time, an hour)
FiveM (GTA V) ran fine with no crashes, even while alt tabbing.
everything runs 60FPS so i dont think im pushing the card too hard.
Have reinstalled windows (reset w/ keep files enabled)
Event viewer doesnt show any errors that would cause a PC crash
have tried resitting the CPU, Ram, and the GPU
all OCCT tests didnt crash the system
this didnt happen with my 1050, and have been running the same system for 2 years before the graphics card change.

any help would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited:

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
ok What type of hard drive are you using?
I have 2, Windows on a PNY CS900 120gb ssd, and a 1tb seagate 7200RPM hdd. The only stuff that comes up in event viewer is some DCOM stuff, but i fixed it and the crashing still happened, but the errors came back. And yes, i do use MSI afterburner, but nothing is overclocked.

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
Have you checked your bios for temperature limit setting, if it has one? Perhaps it is set too low.
Looking through bios i didnt see one, but temps dont get too high. doing a full system stress test doesnt shut the system down. Disk check on the 1TB came back with no errors, and im on a Z170 chipset, And im not sure, i honestly didnt know you could update a chipset itself. How would i go about doing that?

EDIT: Updated chipset drivers, most recent version didnt come out until 2017, so i personally wouldnt think that would be it, considering i didnt get a crash on the 1050, but you never know until you try i guess. i shall keep you updated.

Last edited:

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
Forgot to ask you what chipset are you using is it updated?
Updating the chipset didnt fix it, still crashes.

EDIT: it now crashes every time i try to play COD:MW. everything is fine until i start loading into a game. Doesnt matter if im alt tabbed or not.
EDIT2: Doesnt crash with the 1050 on the updated chipset

Last edited:

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
Ok so reinstall msi afterburner. When the panel comes up try and under clock the core clock to -25 and memory clock -25. See if that helps at all.
I actually contacted Amazon about it (where i bought it) and they are sending a new one, as i read a post somewhere about someone having the same issue with a 2060, with it being professionally tested and coming back good, and him replacing it fixed it. So i shall keep you updated once i get the card. It should be here within 48 hours. With the drivers, i installed the 1050 drivers manually.

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
When you put in the 1050 do you install the drivers for the 1050 or let windows do it?
UPDATE: Recieved the new RTX 2060 today, installed it, installed the drivers, and it still crashes. But ive found out it doesnt crash on low settings on COD, only on high settings.

EDIT. I pulled out my old 500W and plugged the psu into the gpu, while leaving everything else on the 750w and it doesnt crash on high settings. So im assuming that the 750w is bad? As i assume 750W is enough for my system.

Last edited:

rornax

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
UPDATE: Recieved the new RTX 2060 today, installed it, installed the drivers, and it still crashes. But ive found out it doesnt crash on low settings on COD, only on high settings.

EDIT. I pulled out my old 500W and plugged the psu into the gpu, while leaving everything else on the 750w and it doesnt crash on high settings. So im assuming that the 750w is bad? As i assume 750W is enough for my system.
Had a very similar problem to you but with a 5700xt and I found if you're using one of those power supply cables that splits in to two GPU power cables the system would crash under load. Using two separate GPU power cables from my PSU fixed the issue. Hope this helps

LoneWolfie

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
Had a very similar problem to you but with a 5700xt and I found if you're using one of those power supply cables that splits in to two GPU power cables the system would crash under load. Using two separate GPU power cables from my PSU fixed the issue. Hope this helps
Sadly that isnt my problem as i dont have a cord like that, my GPU power cable has 2 off of the same cord, basically like how a SATA power cable does it https://prnt.sc/qjrpkb Thank you for trying to help.